Win xp64 administrator account

rmathews

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I have the administrator account set up correctly (i think) but some of my applications don't seem to see it. There are functions that require admin authority that are not available to me. How can I check the admin setting to make sure it's really an admin account?

Thanks,
Ron

rmathews

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Thanks for responding to my message. That was the first place I looked and I'm listed in the admin group but I guess the question is am I the system admin or just a user with admin privileges. I'm not sure how to tell the difference by looking under "accounts/users" My software seems to think I'm a user with admin privileges because some of the program options aren't available to anyone except the "System Admin" and I don't have access...

The administrator account in XP is Administrator, unless you renamed it. You are most likely using a user account with administrator priveleges, unless you actually used administrator as the user name.

To make it easier to login as administrator, go to the control panel/users, then click on "change the way users login" and disable the welcom screen. Now when you log out, instead of showing available accounts to login to, you will have a username and password box. Type in administrator as the username, and whatever password you used when you set windows up for the first time.

rmathews

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011

This was the answer I was looking for. I changed the login screen to username and password and everything worked fine...I just can't remember the password I put in when I first installed the program. But at least I know what the problem is. Thanks very much for the help.

Ron