Sign in with
Your question

Can I hook these pci slots up to my laptop via pcmcia?

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Laptops
  • PCI
  • PCMCIA
  • Graphics Cards
Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
July 1, 2009 7:27:33 AM

Looks sketchy. Will your laptop be able to provide enough power and bandwidth through the PCMCIA slot?
July 1, 2009 1:55:20 PM

Maybe I'm missing something but I do not understand how you are going to hook up the board to a sata connector...... Seeing that it is a Compaq part I'd bet on a propriety interface cable... not a sata connection..... and then how would the power for the sata be provided? (the Molex connector) and even if those hurdles are crossed the PCMCIA interface could possibly limit the bandwidth of the card..... Short answer..... I do not think so....
Related resources
July 1, 2009 4:59:28 PM

I did some searching and found out a PCMCIA slot is capable of 133mbps and 3.3v. Is this enough for a video card?
What is a propriety interface cable? Did you see a slot for it on the pci board?

btw thanks for the answers they are very helpful because I'm trying to learn about this kind of stuff. ;) 
July 1, 2009 6:53:55 PM

PCMCIA can support 133mbps and 3.3v ..... however...... what amperage can it support? I would bet not enough for a decent (no such thing) pci video card. The PCI slot was forsaken for the all powerful AGP, AGP 2x, AGP 4X, AGP 8X and then even more powerful PCIe slots that evolved as a result of the desire for more bandwidth. Today's PCIe (3.0) slot can accommodate 8GB/sec data transfer rates...... Thousands of times the data bandwidth that the old 32 bit pci slot could provide.

propriety :Noun

1. the quality or state of being appropriate or fitting

Back in the days of Yore .... (showing my age) computer manufacturers had a bad habit of making their own cables and interfaces for motherboards. They did this in order to keep the money flowing to them as you could only get a replacement part from them. Eventually, standards for interfaces came out and this allowed a greater amount of latitude for the consumer to use...... Propriety interfaces still exist today but it is a lot more rare but it is still used in some server set ups.

Most notebooks have crappy video chips in them many incapable of playing today’s video hungry games(except the higher end performance notebooks) and even though there are USB external video solutions they are crappy as well.

If you are looking to upgrade the video of you notebook the solutions are as follows :
1. Buy a new high power gaming notebook (or a notebook capable of supporting what you want to do)
OR
2. Get a desktop box and slap whatever flavor card in it that you desire.

A completely external graphics card might be a neat upgrade for laptop users, but there are some technical hurdles that have to be overcome first. The primary issue is that of bandwidth. USB 2.0 provides 60 MB per second maximum throughput, whereas today's PCI Express slots have a maximum possible bandwidth of 8 GB per second when operating in full-duplex mode. Such high bandwidth is needed to drive today's fast-action 3D games.

Good luck on finding what you need……..
July 2, 2009 2:30:20 PM

You're right about the power. PCMCIA only provides 3.3 volts and 1 amp, which means 3.3 watts. The video card requires 12 volts, 6 amps, and 71 watts. There is definitely not enough power. However, the bandwidth seems to be fine since it is an old pci slot.

I believe that in the future they will come up with some external video card without having to use an extra monitor, like the asus xg station. I'm sure it would sell well. I'm not sure which port it would use, though. I read a forum about using firewire.

Thanks for all of the info. I can't buy a new computer, though. I'll try 3d Analyzer and see if that helps.
!