Hey guys, just another "I-need-help-overclocking" ... thing
So this is what I have:
Case: Coolermaster HAF 932
CPU: I7 920 (Stock 2.67 GHz)
Mobo: EVGA x58 SLI
Mem: 6GB Corsair Dominator RAM, (3x2GB) 8-8-8-24 1600MHz DDR3
GPU: BFG 285 GTX (soon to be 460 ^.^)
CPU cooler: Xigmatek HDT S1283
Since I am new to overclocking this is all that seemed relevant to me; let me know if I need to add more. Anyways, I can OC to 3Ghz no problem, the Auto feature for the vcore works great till then. It's just that 3Ghz is nothing to really be excited over. I would love to be able to get this thing to 3.6-4.0 but don't want to damage anything. I would like some insight from enthusiasts/pros before I do something I regret. Thanks in advance!

It seems as though I need to change QPI and PLL voltages but I am not sure which or what I need to change them to. (They are on auto now)
My QPI PLL Vcore is 1.1V
My CPU PLL Vcore is 1.8V

More about : stable voltages

a b K Overclocking
August 9, 2010 7:11:36 PM

I had this exact system and OCed the CPU to 3.82 GHz without any issues.

Start out by setting the RAM ratio to it's LOWEST setting (8x?). After that, use EVGA ELEET Tuning utility to give you a general idea as to how things perform.

Keep a close watch on voltages - do not exceed manufacturer's recommendations for both the CPU as well as the RAM.

Once you have a stable OC, check the RAM frequency and the adjust the RAM ratio if necessary to bring the frequency up to the rated specs. - It's ok to underclock the RAM; it won't make much of a difference in performance.

After OC using ELEET (free download for logged in EVGA users), get into the BIOS and duplicate the settings in the BIOS.

My VCore voltage is set to 1.275 Volts because the system is unstable at lower voltages. (Intel's max voltage for the i7-920 is 1.375 V)

My system specs are in my profile.
m
l
August 10, 2010 1:48:24 PM

Getting to the stable OC is the hard part lol. And I do have the ELEET Tuning utility, it just freezes whenever I apply the settings did you have to change any voltage aside from the vcore? Also... you are running 3.82 at 1.275v! Nice
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 3:00:52 PM

Yes - currently running i7-920 at 3.82 GHz and 1.275 Volts (had to up this voltage from 1.200 volts due to blue screens) - air cooling, Cooler Master V8, current temp is 31degs.

Corsair Dominator RAM voltage is set at 1.55 Volts
m
l
!