Is my GPU Heatsink loose?

Xarren

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hi,
A week ago or so I dropped my computer - which resulted in a dead motherboard. Having replaced the motherboard, from a GIGABYTE P6NGM to a GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-USB3, I finally got the system working again. However my GPU temperatures (r5770 HAWK) have raised drastically.

My temperatures used to be 36 deg idle 60 under load - and that was heavily overclocked, right now on stock settings I'm getting 43 idle/77 under load.

Do you recon that change is due to my new motherboard? (Old one was mATX this one is ATX - Would that affect it?). I inspected the GPU and the heatsink seems to be closer to the board on one end than on the over, not exactly parallel to it. I'm unsure if it was like this before, the difference on the two ends is very minor but still visible.

So, what do you guys recon - is it new mobo (with my processor overclocked higher than before) or is the heatsink loose?

Cheers, Dave

It is difficult to say.
-- Did you drop the computer on the GPU?
-- Did something fall out of a slot and hit the GPU?
-- It is probably not the new motherboard, assuming the GPU slot is still the top PCIe slot.
-- If GPU looks closer to the board on one end, it may be bent, which could have affected it capacity to cool.
-- You may want to remove any plastic covering the GPU and more closely inspect the heatsink, heatsink pipes, and the fan assembly, did the impact loosen the fan connector? Break a fan-blade? Or push the plastic cover against the fan so it cannot spin?......................

Xarren

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
The PCIe slot is still the top slot of the board, however that slot is actually one slot lower because its an ATX - however I doubt that would cause a 15 deg temp raise. And actually yes the board does seem slightly bent - I thought that before looking at it, before even realising the temperatures are much higher, but I thought I'm imagining things. the computer dropped on the side of the case thats behind the motherboard. The card was still in place, and since its brand new I had a good look at it as it worried me that it might be damaged, there is no obvious damage about it.

If the board is slightly bent - what can I do?

So, when the case fell, it fell on the side of the case closest to the motherboard. Then the impact would have driven the card further into its slot. Plus, the impact wouldn't have caused another component to break loose and damage the GPU. That's a good thing.

One slot lower should be better, it's a little further away for the CPU.

1) It may be slightly bent or damaged, but it's still working! Most warranties don't cover user damage, so use it until it dies or you want to upgrade.
2) Make sure your power and data cables aren't impeding the case air flow.
3) Can you add a 120mm fan between the case's drive cage(s) and the GPU? If so, add one blowing from front to back. You can use nylon cable ties to attach the fan to the case or the drive cage.

Xarren

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
I've already got 2x12cm fans blowing straight at the GPU (its an antec 900 case - one coming in from the side one coming in from the harddrive cages) - thats why it was so cool to begin with. The cables probably are impending the airflow slightly, however they're now as neat as I can get them without ripping hairs off my head - getting them all tied down is a pain. Are extension slot GPU coolers any good? The ones that go in the extension slot next to the card and blow air onto it. Do you recon that taking the heatsink off, getting some silver arctic, and reseating the heatsink could help the problem?
I only bought this card 2 or so weeks ago so I'm not going to be upgrading any time soon.

-- I've tried the extension slot cooler, mine was noisy and didn't move much air. Today's models may be better.

-- You could remove the the HS, clean the TIM, and use AS5. It won't hurt anything, and it may help. With any luck replacing the TIM will solve the issue if the impact moved the HS or created a gap between the HS and the card.