Sign in with
Your question

Partially functioning DVD drive

Tags:
  • DVD Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
August 8, 2010 10:21:00 PM

I've had poor results w/ my DVD drive since I got the machine. It plays CDs, and uploads CDs, without apparent problem, but I haven't been able to install anything from a disc. The first two programs I tried were both off old discs, and I just figured that the discs were corrupted, but now I'm trying to install from a brand new disc, and getting the same sorts of errors (lots of CRC errors).

I've checked my drive's firmware, and there appears to be a later version, so I've tried to update, but am hitting weird snags. Part of the process requires a boot disc be created, and all of the instructions involve using CD programs I don't have. I've tried simply burning the .iso to a disc, and then rebooting, to no avail. As I'm not even sure if this is the issue, I'm seeking help.

I'm using XP, service pack 3, HP DVD writer 640b, w/ firmware version E152.

More about : partially functioning dvd drive

a b G Storage
August 8, 2010 11:12:32 PM

That is very strange indeed, as you should be able to upgrade the firmware quite easily, i.e. without backup disks, etc... Where are you getting the firmware updates from?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
August 8, 2010 11:19:37 PM

It seems to be the correct driver/place. I've never heard of the issue you are having, so it may be worth while to try installing it in safe mode. If that doesn't work, shoot HP support and e-mail or call them and see what they have to say. Otherwise than that, perhaps someone else can chime in with a solution.
m
l
August 9, 2010 3:22:30 AM

Hah. HP tells me to buy a new optical drive.
m
l
!