Time to rebuild my RAID 5 array - bios sees drives, but Vista does not

AlanCFA2

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
A surge blew past my surge protector a few weeks ago and fried the MB. I had a RAID 5 array with 3 drives that contained everything. OS, data, everything!

I read that I would need the same MB to be able to rebuild the array, so I bought a replacement from eBay that was the same make, model, and revision number (ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi, rev 1.03g). I also bought a new HD and loaded Vista on to that.

Now I want to see about rebuilding the array - I have seen several sites talk about how to use software to recover/rebuild, etc. But I have a problem. The drives are all showing up in the bios and device manager as recognized by the system and functioning properly, but they do not show up in Windows Explorer. It looks like I only have my new C drive, the DVD, etc, but the other 3 drives that are there in the bios and device manager simply do not appear.

Any suggestions about how I get the system to recognize them?

Thanks for any and all help.
Alan

AlanCFA2

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Oops! Never mind, I was expecting to see three separate drives, but I just noticed a single drive under the letter "E". I can't do much with it right now as it seems to regard it as a new, unformatted drive (and don't worry - I will NOT format it!), but the system recognizes it.