Sign in with
Your question

Wipe free space SSD

Last response: in Storage
August 9, 2010 12:58:57 AM

Hello everyone,

I was reading online that ccleaner's "wipe free space" utility is a good way to increase the performance of your solid state drive. I tried it out, but once it had finished "wiping" my drive, I used an undelete program to check and see if it worked, and it didn't. The undelete program still found many files in the free space of the drive. I used ccleaner's "secure file deletion", and I had it on the Gutmann (35 passes) setting. The undelete program I used was Recuva. I am running windows 7 64-bit, and the Solid State Drive was an OCZ Vertex 30 gb drive. I just want to know if I need to use a different wiping utility for solid state drives, and if so, what is a good free one? If I did something wrong, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

More about : wipe free space ssd

August 9, 2010 1:16:07 AM

I understand that it won't delete programs that are still on the drive. My problem was that my undelete program still found files that should have been permanently deleted. It was like ccleaner did not erase any data at all on my solid state drive. I also have a hard disk drive in this computer, and ccleaner wiped the free space on that drive completely.
m
l
a c 99 G Storage
August 12, 2010 10:15:57 PM

SecureErase or Wiper, I've hear of. (They might be the same thing)

DBaN is great, but not meant for SSDs.

Oh, wait! You are looking for a "cleaner" not a wiper. OCZ has "Garbage Collection." Since you have an OCZ drive, go with that.

Buy why? You have Windows 7, so TRIM is supported. So it should be releasing al the free space on the drive, if not deleting it...
m
l
!