Serious XP Hard Drive Problem

April 27, 2004 11:17:51 PM

I need help in trying to recover my WD160G HD primary
partition. It was loaded with XP Pro and kept reverting to
PIO mode (very slow). Resetting didn't help for long and
after downloading several driver updates from MS, the hard
drive wouldn't fully boot without autorestarting until it
finally stopped booting past the bios. Roxio GoBack,
MichaelStevens et al procedures, Recovery Console have all
been unsuccessful. Repair install wasn't available. Norton
AV was current and full scan the day of the crash. WD
tools show the HD is ok. I was in the process of copying
my 10GB backup to DVDs when the crashing process began. I
was able to create a new partiion on the unalloc 20GB of
HD and installed XP Pro on it which is now C: Healthy
(System) hoping I could copy important info from the
original partition but it's not recognized in My Computer
and Disk Manag sees it as DRV1VOL1 Healthy (unknown
partition) and will not offer any action except delete
partition. I tried to copy the backup file to the new part
using the recovery console but states it can't. Other than
starting from scratch, ANY SUGGESTIONS! Thanks in advance.

More about : hard drive problem

April 28, 2004 1:15:48 AM

this has happened several times to me... there may be
some magical way to do what you are trying to do but the
only success i have had is to laod a different drive with
xp and put the original drive in as a secondary drive...
you should be able to retrieve all of your important
files then... yes, it is starting over but at least you
can get to your files... i have since started backing up
my sys with ghost... it is a awsome app.

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 6:46:53 PM

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:17:51 -0700, "Jim"

>I need help in trying to recover my WD160G HD primary
>partition. It was loaded with XP Pro and kept reverting to
>PIO mode (very slow). Resetting didn't help for long and
>after downloading several driver updates from MS, the hard
>drive wouldn't fully boot without autorestarting until it
>finally stopped booting past the bios. Roxio GoBack,
>MichaelStevens et al procedures, Recovery Console have all
>been unsuccessful. Repair install wasn't available. Norton
>AV was current and full scan the day of the crash.

Norton AV is Windows based, i.e. running knee-deep in the infected OS
you are trying to scan.

So far, this looks hardware. If it's not HD (later you say WD's tools
say HD's OK; did you do all non-destructive tests or just the quick
test?) then think of the following:
- bad UIDE cable (must be 80-pin)
- bad mobo, controller, chipset (what mobo ch'set; VIA or SiS?)
- overclocking, bad voltages, bad PSU, bad mains supply
- heating issues, e.g. HD in a plastic drive bracket
- drive brackets, which add extra connectors and contacts
- bad RAM or other hardware
- bulging/failing motherboard caps; a "bad power" variation

>WD tools show the HD is ok. I was in the process of copying
>my 10GB backup to DVDs when the crashing process began. I
>was able to create a new partiion on the unalloc 20GB of
>HD and installed XP Pro on it which is now C: Healthy
>(System) hoping I could copy important info from the
>original partition but it's not recognized in My Computer
>and Disk Manag sees it as DRV1VOL1 Healthy (unknown
>partition) and will not offer any action except delete
>partition. I tried to copy the backup file to the new part
>using the recovery console but states it can't. Other than
>starting from scratch, ANY SUGGESTIONS! Thanks in advance.

I'd pull that HD out and evacuate it from another PC that can read the
file system. Your options are wider if you avoided NTFS.

Running Windows-based av to kill active malware is like striking
a match to see if what you are standing in is water or petrol.
April 28, 2004 6:46:54 PM

Chris - Thanks for your response. Can I unistall Norton
or other programs from the recovery console? I did run a
thorough WD diag but not write zeros and replaced the 80
pin eide cable. The system is 4 mos old with ASUS A7N8X-E
deluxe mb, NVidea chipsets, Athlon 2500+ Barton (not
overclocked), 1gb 333 DDR, ATI AIW 9600 video. BIOS system
manager shows voltages and temps are proper. XP Pro SP1
seems to function properly on the new partition. I will
however take a more careful look at hardware components.
Any additional suggestions are welcome. Thanks again.

Anonymous
April 29, 2004 10:52:11 PM

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 07:09:04 -0700, "Jim"

>Chris - Thanks for your response. Can I unistall Norton
>or other programs from the recovery console?

I don't know, but I don't think so. RC is rather like the old DOS-era
Norton Utilities DiskTool in concept; a collection of particular fixes
and tools for a nice range of issues, but it's not an OS.

> I did run a thorough WD diag but not write zeros

That's good...

>and replaced the 80 pin eide cable.

Also a good thing to do.

>The system is 4 mos old with ASUS A7N8X-E deluxe mb,

What I'd really like to know is the chipset. A motherboard can only
be as good as its chipset (tho it can be worse) and even larney brands
like Asus make "value" mobos from cruddy chipsets.

>NVidea chipsets,

Ah! Dunno much about them in the context of motherboard chipsets, but
I think they are OK (I'd read-ahead and thort that was the SVGA)

>Athlon 2500+ Barton (not overclocked),

OK

>1gb 333 DDR, ATI AIW 9600 video. BIOS system
>manager shows voltages and temps are proper.

OK. What's the PSU rating? I ask only because there are still quite
a few naff-rated Micro-ATX PSUs out there.

>XP Pro SP1 seems to function properly on the new partition.
>I will however take a more careful look at hardware components.

I must say, nothing so far screams "Exhibit A" ;-)

Is the HD mounted to chassis, and surrounded by free air?