Silver Rookie

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
i have been thinking of building a new computer with a i7 cpu. my current build has a q9450. would it be worth it to build or should i stick with what i got? my uses include gaming and doing AutoCAD

logainofhades

Titan
AutoCad would probably benefit well from i7 and triple channel memory. Gaming you are probably fine with what you have. X58 is nice though due to its flexibility of going either SLI or CF on the same board.

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
I was lucky, I was thinking of going to at least a dual core from the AMD turion 64 that I have. Somehow things kept me from going and getting a new CPU as well as trying to upgrade. Then I finally have the time to upgrade and I can get a core i7.
So I skipped the dual core era and went from single core to quad core and no FSB.

For you I suggest you wait until something better comes out. Upgrade as much as you can with what you have to save money from going that what is next.

dragonfang18

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009
Play games with what your computer can play with until it cannot play anymore. As I have done with my AMD turion. I can still play Fallout 3, and Supreme Commander well enough, even with lag. But bare the lagg and soon you will get a way better PC.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
Is is worth it to build to i7 if you already have the Q9450? This is such an open ended question; hence, so many answer from various angles.

I'll key in on the word "worth". If you just have cash to burn for a gaming rig to support a hobby, yes it's worth it. If you're taking out school loans in college, then it's not worth it. For the gaming experience, the GPU is more of a determining factor tham the slight bandwidth difference between an overclocked Q9450 and i7.

I don't think it is worth it. That is my simple answer. Unless you need to squeeze every ounce of performance from your system. You already have a newer core2 quad. Just OC that thing and be happy.