Sign in with
Your question

Can I build this cheaper?!

Last response: in Systems
February 1, 2009 10:54:46 PM

Im looking to build a gaming rig soon but I typed in "i7 gaming comp" and the "iBUYPOWER" website came up and they have "GAMER PALADIN F850"

with these specs....

Intel Core i7 940 CPU
Add Asetek Liquid Cooling System (+$59)
MSI X58 Platinum SLI Intel X58 Chipset MB
6 GB DDR3-1333 Memory
500 GB 7200 RPM SATA-II HDD
2x ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB Video Card
16x DVD-ROM Drive
20x Double Layer DVD+/-RW
7.1 Channel 3D Surround Sound
650 Watts Subwoofer Speakers
10/100/1000 Network LAN
Nzxt Alpha Gaming Case w/ Ruby Side Window
Windows VISTA Home Premium 64-Bit
Free Far Cry 2 Game

for $1559!!!!!!!!!!

It doesnt say the names of the ram/hard drive..etc.... Why is this so cheap? I couldnt build this @ that price... do they use cheap parts? Shld I buy this instead of building?

More about : build cheaper

February 1, 2009 11:02:49 PM

Beitzel15 said:
Shld I buy this instead of building?

No
February 1, 2009 11:04:26 PM

ehanger said:
No

Why?
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
February 1, 2009 11:46:41 PM

You can have it for about $1700, if you buy the parts from Newegg and build it yourself. Since it includes liquid cooling, building it yourself is best avoided.

Ask them what kind of PSU they put in there. If it's a decent PSU then it's an excellent deal IMO and you should take it.

Do you have any option to change the case? Something like RC-690 or Antec 900 would be better there.

February 1, 2009 11:49:39 PM

Im stuck between building a Quad Core and an i7 for gaming.. the i7 will run me about $300-$400 more... And I already have a brand new NZXT Tempest sittin n my room, empty :( 
a b B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
February 2, 2009 12:55:28 AM

If you decide to build your own, try something with an i7 920 instead of i7 940, it's almost as good as the i940 and at least $200 less.

If you get something like Q9550/GA-EP45-UD3P/HD 4870 1GB Crossfire/PC Power & Cooling 750W/2x2GB DDR2-800 you'll save even more. There isn't really that much difference between i7 920 and Q9550 in games.
February 2, 2009 2:22:56 AM

i just thought about future upgrading... anything new coming out most likely wont be for socket 775 motherboards... So Im wondering if spending the few hundred dollars more on the i7 would actually save me money in a few years.
February 2, 2009 2:23:34 AM

i would get that system. just make you get a good psu but other then that is a good price for that system
February 2, 2009 2:39:16 AM

I just wonder why they sell it so cheap... with speakers & all that... I bet it's cheaper components.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 2, 2009 5:03:48 AM

That looks like a good system at face value. However, I would email them and ask what model the HD and RAM are.
February 3, 2009 11:28:40 PM

Beitzel15 said:
I just wonder why they sell it so cheap... with speakers & all that... I bet it's cheaper components.

what cheap components are you thinking of?

everything you are getting is listed there, except the Hard drive, PSU ,and ram.

You have an option to pick the PSU want AND the kind of ram you want. I chose my PSU cause i dont fool with the PSU.

I did not pick the memory option and they sent me corsair dominator.

The HD was HItachi.

I didnt get speakers but i can almost promise they will be cheap.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2009 12:44:38 AM

geevilletiger said:
what cheap components are you thinking of?

everything you are getting is listed there, except the Hard drive, PSU ,and ram.

You have an option to pick the PSU want AND the kind of ram you want. I chose my PSU cause i dont fool with the PSU.

I did not pick the memory option and they sent me corsair dominator.

The HD was HItachi.

I didnt get speakers but i can almost promise they will be cheap.

There is a big difference when it comes to manufacturers. A good example is a power supply.

Logisys 550W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - 23
PC P&C 610W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... - 80

Not much difference when you look at only wattage, but which one would you want in your build??
The same goes for RAM, HDD, video cards....
February 5, 2009 12:32:57 AM

Yes. that is why there is an option to CHOOSE the PSU you want... By choos ei should have been more specific and said you can choose the brand and model. HE can CHOSE the video card form a list. Im not sure about the ATI cards, but eVGA is the best option they have for Nvidia.

You can Choose the ram you want from a list.

The only thing you are guessing about is the hard drive because you can only choose size and type. YOucant choose brand or model.

So.. he KNOWS the components or at least can CHOOSE to know the components he is looking at.

The advantage to Ibuypower is the 30 day money back garanatee and the 3 year parts and labor warranty. They also install every thing for you, which save you a few hours of BS, and do a 72 hr burn. I dont know about you, but the biggest fear i have putting together a completely new PC is DOE stuff. When you are dllaing with multiple new components it can be a PITA to diagnose whihc 1 is boinked.

S&H is steaper than newegg.. and you can choose not to take their money making options.. like extra cathode lights, temperature displays, professional wiring, stuff like that.

Once i got my IBP pC, i looked to see what i had and then zoomed to NEWegg to compare. MY PC would have been a good $50 more to put together myself.

BEfore i get labeled an IBY fanboi, i will note i am sending this i7 machine back for a refund. I did get the temp display and they didnt bother to hook a single wire up. NO fans, no temperature probes. They also failed to connect the audio for the DVD player. Add to that the loudness of the ASetek water cooler and some sort of buzzing i am getting through my speakers (probably a defective on board sound.. yes i use on board sound.)

YOu know what they say.. if you want something done right......
a b B Homebuilt system
February 5, 2009 3:25:41 AM

geevilletiger said:

The advantage to Ibuypower is the 30 day money back garanatee and the 3 year parts and labor warranty. They also install every thing for you, which save you a few hours of BS, and do a 72 hr burn. I dont know about you, but the biggest fear i have putting together a completely new PC is DOE stuff. When you are dllaing with multiple new components it can be a PITA to diagnose whihc 1 is boinked.

Putting the PC together and seeing it come to life is the funnest part of building a PC. Probably the closest men can get to birthing a child =)

I've never used IBP, so I wasn't sure what they offer. I was only going on the generic parts list. If you can chose the manufacturer and it's name brand/quality stuff, order from the site. That is a good price.

I assume IBP would be smart enough to not fill the reservoir for the liquid cooling, but it sounds like they 'forgot' to hook up half of geevilletiger's wires. If you decide to buy from them, you may want to request that they don't fill the reservoir before shipping.
February 5, 2009 9:46:31 PM

The Asetek CPU cooling is a self contained unit. There are no hook ups, no filling, no water blocks to deal with. It comes right out of the box like a typical heat sink and fan. You attach the pump to the top of the CPU like you would a heat sink. YOu attach the radiator to your case some where (it fits a 120 MM fan slot) and then you attach the 120 MM fan to the radiator.

Younever have ot refill it, never have ot clean it. It is as plug and pray as any after market heatsink /fan. THe manufacturer claims 50,000 hrs of use before it needs to replaced, however i can't confirm that. I could not find any 1 who has had 1 for that long.

IMO it is kinda loud, but ive never had water cooling before so i dunno. The mfg says 28 dB.

YEs, they seemed to not hook up half my stuff and that was the final straw for me. I dont even know what they were thinking. They must have thought i order the seperate temp display just so i can have an external clock i guess.

And i agree , building a PC is fun when you get it done. IF you get it all together and 1 of the 8 componets is fried, it is not fun trying to figure out which 1, then dealing with RMA's and the down time for Shipping back and forth.
!