Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
The config of the pc i use at home is:
Intel Pentium 4 HT 3 GHz
512 MB Ram
80 gb hdd
NVidia Geforce 6200 256 mb

The pc has a floppy drive.
However, since the past few days, when i switch on the pc, i get a long beeping sound, the cpu restarts and again the sound-this happens continuously and no boot up occurs. I then saw the bus coming out of the floppy drive is split up into 3 parts for about a quarter of its length. Could this be the source of the problem? If not, then what could be the problem??

Rogue77777

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
It sounds like either a memory or video problem. Try re-seating your video card first, then your ram.
Question: What do you mean by "I then saw the bus coming out of the floppy drive is split up into 3 parts for about a quarter of its length." ?
What do you mean by "BUS"?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Don't worry about the floppy drive cable. The NORMAL floppy drive cable is flat from the mobo end up to the middle connector. After that it usually has four wires near the middle separated out and the group twisted over before being fastened back into the end connector. This is just how the two devices on the cable are identified. In the original system for floppy drives, the one on the END of the cable is the "A" drive, and the one in the middle is "B". Unlike IDE hard drives, there never was any jumper to set for Master or Slave. They are identified solely by the way the wires are connected, and that requires a twist in one part of the cable.

cygnus7

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010

Then what is the cause of my problem?? I mean it was working all fine and suddenly it comes out with this.. :(

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
This is a troubleshooting general problem, and you should look around here for general troubleshooting procedures to help organize your work and eliminate potential causes one at a time, methodically. Rogue77777 has suggested two things to test first because he / she believes the symptom you cite points to particular faulty components. I will suggest that you check the connection of your CPU fan to the mobo pinout. PART of what you say could point to a failure of the fan's speed signal to reach the mobo, either becasue the CPU cooler fan is not running, OR because the connector is loose and making poor contact. That may not be your cause, but it is easy and quick to check.