omgthisnamesux

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
With the announcement that Intel plans to phase out production of all i7 processors by 2010.
With the announcement that the new plan is for the i5 processor to be the flagship.
With the announcement that this will be based on a LGA 1156 Socket.

Does this mean currently upgrading to an i7 system is a waste of money? If i7 and socket 1366 goes away, is a person upgrading gimping themselves...

..or just the opposite? Is i7/1366 more powerful, and simply not cost efficient for Intel to mass produce?

Thanks

omgthisnamesux

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Here's one article:
http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,686690/Intel-to-thin-out-Core-i7-offer/News/

You can do some queries around the web and find other articles posting similiar stories/information about what's happening to i7 when i5, and Intels product roadmap. I'm on the verge of buying an i7 system - however, now I'm paranoid as it seems the focus moving forward will be on the 1156 Socket and the i5.

I can't tell from reading all the articles if 1366 compatibility is confirmed, or people are just assuming.... or whatever... I don't want to drop a load of cash only to find out that my system is incomptible with new socket and structure come FY10.

Yes, I realize computers are always changing, but usually it's 2-3 years in between core hardware variances - not 12 months like this feels.

DXRick

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2006
I would have no qualms about building or buying an i7 system now. By the time a processor comes out that offers a significant boost in speed, you will need a new mobo anyway. Even if the socket remained the same, the chipsets will evolve. Technologies, like DDR4, USB 3.0, and PCIe 3.0, will require new chipsets.

Aye, that would be strange, wouldn't it.

Why did Intel need to announce those processors, and then a year later not need them at all? Doesn't seem like they were forced by the competition.

Did something happen in production that surprised them, causing no need for the young socket?

Could be, I don't think so, it's gonna be fun finding out, and a 920 seems fine to me for a few years in any case . . . er socket . . . er nevermind.

You need to note that the article you linked (a) is not an Intel announcement, (b) does not include all current i7 cpus, and (c) there is no "confirmed info from mobo makers" saying anything about the socket.

They're keeping the i7 EE CPUs, as well as LGA1366 xeons. They're phasing out the lower end i7s because for desktop tasks, the LGA1160 CPUs will do just as well, and are cheaper to produce.