Can cpu cause pc to not turn on?

I get my green led on motherboard, but when i try to turn it on, nothing happens. I know PS is good and I know its not on/off switch.

Was just wondering if the CPU could cause MOBO to do nothing after hitting power on.

I got e8400 cpu on a asus p5k-e mobo

thanks

edit - has anyone had a cpu that was bad and it caused the system to do nothing when trying to turn it on?
10 answers Last reply
More about turn
  1. well, im going to try a new cpu in my system - if that doesn't work i will try a motherboard -

my wife spilled some water into the computer and i think some got on the CPU - this is why i am trying this first unless someone recommends otherwise

thanks
  2. When you say nothing happens, are there beeps, do fans come on, keyboard lights, anything? I doubt water got in your CPU unless you had the side panel ou and you keep it flat (motherboard flat instead of vertical).

Check all your connections. Check your wall socket. Check the switch on the back of the PSU.
  3. the top of my case has a lot of small holes in it - it is not a solid piece of metel -

it does nothing - no beeps - no lights change - nothing
  4. case is a coolermaster

pic of case i found on internet - so you know what i'm saying http://www.cluboc.net/reviews/cases/coolermaster/cm690/two.jpg
  5. Remove the power plug, wait until the light goes out, and try again. If this is a new build that never worked, check you plugged the buttons in properly. I don't believe the CPU could cause *no* power-on unless it imediately causes a short and the power supply cutoff kicked in, but you should see a second or two of life even then. A bad motherboard could have a groundout or short between the buttons and the power supply.
  6. Probably shorted out the motherboard. Could have taken the video card and CPU with it, just depends. Try checking the PSU first. Try a different PSU in you're system to see if it does anything.
  7. semyri said:
    my wife spilled some water into the computer and i think some got on the CPU

Because the CPU has the added bit of protection from the HSF it would take more that a fine mist of water to damage it. Assuming a whole glass of water was dumped in the case I would (also) assume you will be replacing the motherboard, RAM and video card as well.
  8. A) Was it on at the time said water was spilled? and

B) if not, did you wait until dry to start back up?
  9. Water has minerals that can cause a short even after dried.
  10. semyri said:
    well, im going to try a new cpu in my system - if that doesn't work i will try a motherboard -

my wife spilled some water into the computer and i think some got on the CPU - this is why i am trying this first unless someone recommends otherwise

thanks

...and you're still married to her. Bless you.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs LED Monitor Motherboards