C2D 6750 slowed to 266MHZ fsb speed

Hello,

I built my first computer a while back and had quite a few difficulties. I used an asus p5wdh deluxe mb, with 3GB of ram and a C2D 6750 2.6GHz processor. In the begining the MB defaulted to the incorrect voltage for the ram, and after I figured that out, I still wound up having the slow the fsb speed from the defaulted 333 to 266 in order to make it stable. Now the machine is very stable, but I would like to increase that fsb speed. The max available with the mb is 5 hundred and something. This confuses me more because I think it should be higher. Does anyone have any ideas? I can post pics if need be. Thanks in advance for the help.
4 answers Last reply
More about 6750 slowed 266mhz speed
  1. Do you have cool and quiet (or similar) enabled?
    it's in your bios somewhere
    hows that 3Gb split? 3x1Gb sticks? your not getting dual channel beneifits from that
    Moto
  2. it is split up into 2 1GB sticks and 2 512MB. It is dual channel.

Cool N Quiet doesn't seem to make any difference with the speed of the fsb. it does make it quieter when it is enabled though.

I know the settings are in there, I know where they are, I just don't know how to set them so that it will be stable, but will not be so slow.

Thanks
  3. Hmmm.

Stock speed should be 2.66 GHz at 333MHz X 8. If SpeedStep kicks in, the multiplier will drop to X 6. "Cool 'n Quiet" is the AMD equivalent.

The first thing to do is to get the system working a the stock frequency. So, first, clear the BIOS and set factory defaults.

Standard default values for RAM voltage is 1.8 volts. A lot of DDR2 RAM requires high voltage. Set that.

What kind of RAM do you have?
  4. Exactly! That is what I am shooting for!

Here are the major components:

Asus P5W DH deluxe Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Processor 2.66GHz
    GeCube Radeon HD 3870 Video Card 512MB GDDR4
    Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 320GB Hard Drive - 16MB, SATA-300 in raid0
    Hitachi Deskstar T7K500 320GB Hard Drive - 16MB, SATA-300 In raid0
    OCZ Platinum 1024MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory
    OCZ Platinum 2048MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Dual Channel Memory
    WinTV-PVR-500MCE dual channel tv tuner
    AVerTV HD MCE A180 digital tv tuner
    Lite-On DH-16D2P-08 Retail DVD-ROM Drive
    Philips SPD6104BD LightScribe Internal Drive DVD Burner