Correct way to power a GeForce GTX 295

richardyarlett

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I have spent a solid month and hours and hours trying to find out once and for all how to correctly and safely hook up a EVGA GTX 295 card, when I only have 2 x 6pin connectors. I have an XPS 710, with a 750W power supply, 4 12V rails of 18,18,18,16, total 70amps. Therefore I qualify for total power AND total 12V rail amps, but here is where people split out with their opinions. Below are the three methods on the web... which one is the best way, both safety and performance wise.

Method 1) 6pin connector to a 6pin socket plus 6pin connector into 8pin socket, using 6-8 converter.

Method 2) 2x6pin connectors into 1x8pin socket using supplied Y cable, PLUS 2x4pin molex into 6pin socket using other supplied Y cable

Method 3) 1x6pin connector into 6pin socket PLUS 1x6pin connector and 2x4pin molexs into 8pin socket using both Y cables together.

MY CURRENT METHOD...is method 1)..card runs fine, but gives out high pitch noise in high end games, probably because it is under powered

I know there are tons of people out there trying to figure this out. I have done so much research and everyone says different things. The only thing I get from EVGA, even though they supplied the Y cables is "we can only support the true 6+8pin connection".

Please help..
Richard

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
One 8-pin and one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector -or- Two 6-pin PCI Express and two 4-pin peripheral supplementary power connectors

That is the suggested way for the card on newegg. This sounds like your method 2 yeah? All of the connectors come in the box so why would you do it differently? Do you have two 4-pin peripherals open?

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
richardyarlett (spinacheater) is right One 8-pin and one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector -or- Two 6-pin PCI Express and two 4-pin peripheral supplementary power connectors.750w should handle the 295.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Did you not get a diagram with the card,I did with my 8800gt and it only used one 6 pin connector,anyhow each connector to the card must be separate and not from a splitter..:)

richardyarlett

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009

THANKS guys for your replies. I know that method 2) is the preferred method as recommended by the card manufacturer when you lack the correct 6pin + 8pin, but for some reason, when trying it, my whole system would not post video...... I assume that the PS did not like it....therefore I had to go back to method 1). I guess I could try it again.

Like I said, the card works fine, in all aspects but does score low on 3DMark's Vantage, and it has that really annoying buzzing noise when in 3D use. Some people are clearly defining TWO buzzing noises, one is perfectly 'normal' as just the chips and caps vibrating under load, one is a clear sign that the card is under powered and struggling. When I spoke to EVGA he was asking me to describe the sound as to figure out whether the sound was normal or abnormal. I thought this was funny. I was there trying to re-create the sound, thinking to myself...."isn't ANY sound unusual?"

I should be getting around 16K - 17K, but I am getting 14K, because I think it is underpowered. Of course a lot of my friends think it is fine and it's not worth messing with for the sake of getting max performance out of it. I will try method 2) again, and if I don't get it to boot, I guess I will go back to method 1) and let it be. Thanks to anyone that has / will respond. Life would have been a lot more simply will a 285, but I had to go and get the biggest and baddest because I am so OCD :)