Sign in with
Your question

Can somebody tell me about these PSU's?

Last response: in Systems
February 2, 2009 7:38:48 PM

Can somebody tell me about these PSU's:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have used HEC psu's three times and haven't had a problem yet. They have pretty good reviews on newegg. I was just wondering if anyone on here has used them a bit more extensively than me and has anything to say about them. I know I should get a good PSU's like PC and Power Cooling, but I just need the cheapest decent quality PSU I can find right now.

More about : psu

a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2009 2:03:44 AM

They're not bad, especially for that price. Just be aware that they are not really 585W PSUs. They have a rail with 19A and one with 20A, and refuse to disclose how much combined so I'll assume it's a lot less than 39A. Compare that with the PC Power & Cooling 610W that delivers 49A, or the Corsair 650TX with 52A. The efficiency is 75%, rather than 85% like the PC P&C or Corsair, so you end up with almost twice as much waste converted into heat inside the case.

If your setup contains something like 9800GTX+ or HD 4850 that recommends 450W or more, these PSUs are already pushed more than I'd like. For something more modest (HD 4670, whatever) they should be OK.
February 3, 2009 4:59:46 AM

matic3060 said:
Can somebody tell me about these PSU's:

I have used HEC psu's three times and haven't had a problem yet. They have pretty good reviews on newegg. I was just wondering if anyone on here has used them a bit more extensively than me and has anything to say about them. I know I should get a good PSU's like PC and Power Cooling, but I just need the cheapest decent quality PSU I can find right now.

There are a couple of Seasonic 300W PSUs for about $40, or the Antec Basiq 350W for $20.
Related resources
February 3, 2009 12:49:09 PM

aevm said:
They're not bad, especially for that price. Just be aware that they are not really 585W PSUs. They have a rail with 19A and one with 20A, and refuse to disclose how much combined so I'll assume it's a lot less than 39A. Compare that with the PC Power & Cooling 610W that delivers 49A, or the Corsair 650TX with 52A. The efficiency is 75%, rather than 85% like the PC P&C or Corsair, so you end up with almost twice as much waste converted into heat inside the case.

If your setup contains something like 9800GTX+ or HD 4850 that recommends 450W or more, these PSUs are already pushed more than I'd like. For something more modest (HD 4670, whatever) they should be OK.

I'm actually using one of them in my current gaming system, which has an HD4850. It has only been in there for a short while though, as it was only meant to be temporary. But I haven't had any problems with it. It doesn't seem to struggle or get hot. But again, I haven't been using it for long and I just wanted some opinions from people that know something about PSU's.

The system that I was planning on using one of these PSU's for is the following:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+
Biostar MCP6P-M2+
2GB (1 x 2GB) G. Skill DDR2 800
Sapphire Radeon HD3850
WD Caviar 500GB SATA HDD
Samsung Super WriteMaster CD/DVD

And about the 12V rails, is there a way to determine what the combined output is? I've read so many conflicting posts on that topic. I always just assumed that you add the two values, but I guess thats not right? I'm starting to think that dual rails is more of a marketing ploy than anything else. Seems like you would be better off having one big beefy rail than two smaller rails.
February 3, 2009 12:51:03 PM

theAnimal said:
There are a couple of Seasonic 300W PSUs for about $40, or the Antec Basiq 350W for $20.

The only problem with that is I need more power than 300-350W. But I guess I should have listed the proposed system in the original post.
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2009 12:58:50 PM

There is no way to determine the combined output. Some times you can just add them up, for example for some Antec Earthwatts models, but most often it's less than the sum. For example there's an Enermax Infinity 650W that has 3 rails of 28A each, but combined it's 52A, not 84A. This page might help:
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=554094

February 3, 2009 5:30:57 PM

matic3060 said:
The only problem with that is I need more power than 300-350W. But I guess I should have listed the proposed system in the original post.

Actually, a good quality 300W Seasonic would have no problem running your system. If you decide to get a crappy PSU such as the HEC, then you would need a lot more because they overstate their power ability and rate it at room temperature.
February 3, 2009 5:48:36 PM

theAnimal said:
Actually, a good quality 300W Seasonic would have no problem running your system. If you decide to get a crappy PSU such as the HEC, then you would need a lot more because they overstate their power ability and rate it at room temperature.

Oh, I didn't realize the difference between high quality and lower quality PSU's was quite that drastic. So a good 300W PSU could run an HD3850 system? Its just so confusing to me. They should have some sort of industry standard that must be followed when rating these things. So you would rate the HEC as crappy and not just less than optimal?
a b B Homebuilt system
February 3, 2009 6:14:08 PM

According to this review,
http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-hd-3850-iceq-3-turbox-review/5

they got 263W for the entire system containing a HD 3850 under load. Assuming 80% efficiency, and the worst case scenario where all those watts came from the 12V rails, it means the PSU was delivering about 17A. For best efficiency and safety you want a PSU that can do about twice that, so let's say 34A combined, give or take some. The reviewer says 28A or more, by the way.

Those HEC PSUs are powerful enough if your system is similar to the one used in the review. That is, if you don't have lots of hard drives, fans, lights, PCI cards and other things that would push the PSU too much.

A good 300W would run that system, but it would be a bad idea. That PSu would work very close to max, resulting in higher electricity bills, more heat, more noise, reduced lifetime for the PSU and for any parts affected by heat.
February 3, 2009 11:38:30 PM

matic3060 said:
Oh, I didn't realize the difference between high quality and lower quality PSU's was quite that drastic. So a good 300W PSU could run an HD3850 system? Its just so confusing to me. They should have some sort of industry standard that must be followed when rating these things. So you would rate the HEC as crappy and not just less than optimal?

Yes, I'd rate it as crappy.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2009 10:49:18 AM

matic3060 said:
So you would rate the HEC as crappy and not just less than optimal?

To be charitable and to avoid words like "crappy", I'd call it "excessively suboptimal".
a b B Homebuilt system
February 4, 2009 3:01:54 PM

LOL, that's very politically correct :) 
!