windows/system32/config/system

Message received during startup:
Windows could not start because the following file is
missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows
setup using the original setup CD-ROM. Select 'r' at the
first screen to start repair.

have tried every Dell provided disk for restore and the XP
disk and have had no success. Same message returns.
Please assist as soon as possible.

Mike - 4-28-04
5 answers Last reply
More about windows system32 config system

    "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Message received during startup:
    >Windows could not start because the following file is
    >missing or corrupt:
    >
    >\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

    See "How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545).

    --
    (tm)

    tm,

    Attempting this several times with the XP disk provided by
    Dell but to no avail.. the same message returns, with no
    options.
    If I use a boot disk(3.5) in A:, I can get to a command
    prompt however cannot change to C: at all.

    Please assist
    Mike

    "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Attempting this several times with the XP disk provided by
    >Dell but to no avail.. the same message returns, with no
    >options.
    >If I use a boot disk(3.5) in A:, I can get to a command
    >prompt however cannot change to C: at all.

    See if C exists at all. Start a repair reinstallation of Windows. If
    the Windows installation is not detected, it may be seriuosly broken.
    "How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315341)

    --
    (tm)

    tm,

    How do I force the computer to look first at the CD drive,
    use F2 during bootup and carefully change the BIOS
    settings?

    If this is the case please give me some step-by-step
    instructions to ensure a compitent change.

    And then I suppose the system would boot up reading the CD
    and perform the "Inplace Upgrade."

    Please assist
    Mike

    >How do I force the computer to look first at the CD drive,
    >use F2 during bootup and carefully change the BIOS
    >settings?
    >If this is the case please give me some step-by-step
    >instructions to ensure a compitent change.

    You may want to consult the manual for the computer as the steps are
    not the same on all computers. Find out how to enter the CMOS setup
    (BIOS) during the boot process and then try to find a setting "boot
    order" (or similar). You can change this here and the PC should then
    boot off the Windows-CD.
    Alternative: get the Windows boot disks to start via the floppy drive.
    "Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994)

    --
    (tm)

Configuration System32 Microsoft Windows XP