External hard drive fried usb port?

tomate2

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
got this external hard drive not 1 year old
dont know the specs but its a 320 gb transcend
took it to my cousin to put some pictures in it
she gives back with the with the tip of the connector that connects to the hard drive bent
using my hands i put it back in place and try connecting to hard drive but it doesnt connect really well
so i buy a new cable for it
new cable still doesnt connects really well to the hd
but then my brother connects one of the usb connectors to a usb hub and the other directly to the computer
when the usb connector touches the back part of the computer a small blue light flashes
me and my brother smell burnt circuits and the hd doesnt work anymore
used the cable to try on another external hard drive and works perfectly...
tried connecting faulty transcend external hard drive to another computer and hd still doesnt work...
the usb port where the blue light flashed doesnt work anymore... tried sticking other usb devices...
external hard drive has warranty so dont want to void it by opening up...
no matter what i do, what cable i use, on which computer i test the external hard drive the led doesnt lit up neither do i hear any spinning noise coming from inside it...
want to know how bad is it and can i recover the files in it?

Solution
Yeah, it sounds like both the USB port and the external are fried. The data can be recovered one of two way. One, send it into a data recovery service, but it will cost you a pretty penny. Two, open up the external drive and try connecting the drive directly your computer via a SATA port to see if it works (it could be that the enclosure's electronics were fried). Otherwise than that, you could call the manufacturer and ask them if they can recover the data if you send it in under the warranty.
Yeah, it sounds like both the USB port and the external are fried. The data can be recovered one of two way. One, send it into a data recovery service, but it will cost you a pretty penny. Two, open up the external drive and try connecting the drive directly your computer via a SATA port to see if it works (it could be that the enclosure's electronics were fried). Otherwise than that, you could call the manufacturer and ask them if they can recover the data if you send it in under the warranty.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS