Pre Built Gaming Pc Options

novik

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Thinking of buying a pre-built gaming rig within 1200$. I know I would be getting the advice of building my own but right now I really don't want to do that. So apart from dell,hp,alienware,ibuypower and cyberpower, what are the options do I have.

I would buy a quad core hp or compaq pc and change out the power supply and add a high end video card. It will be cheaper than getting a gaming pc. Adding a 500-600w power supply and 4850 or 9800gt card will run you less than $200. Quad core pc's are going for around $700. Unless you need to look at a fancier case, this route will save you at least $300. I recommend hp or compaq over dell and gateway. I changed out the motherboard in my compaq pc and it fit perfectly, including the case connections. Dell and Gateway are sometimes a little tougher to upgrade. I use slickdeals and fatwallet to look for pc deals. Go with 3-7 gigs of memory. Many pc's have this standard in their mid range boxes. For compaq and hp, the windows software is proprietary, meaning you'll have to format and reinstall windows when the motherboard fails. I used a dell windows dvd to reinstall vista when I changed boards. It will work with your old microsoft coa sticker.

o1die made a good suggestion. I say go with a decent HP or Gateway tower and keep the old parts around just in case you have to swap them back in if you need a warranty repair :D. Just be aware that going that route means you won't be able to overclock your CPU as prebuilts often lock such BIOS options.

novik

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
BTW, what type of mobo do the HP desktops have. I mean,mostly I will be wanting to upgrade the graphics card. So, will the top-of-the-line graphics cards like gtx series work in that desktop.

novik

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
But I guess this won't have a warranty on the parts as in Hp or other branded deals.....But thanks for the info......I configured a HP .....

HP Pavilion Elite m9600t customizable Desktop PC
KX745AV#ABA
– Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium with Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
– Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-920 processor (2.66GHz, 1MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache with QPI Technology)
– 6GB DDR3-1066MHz SDRAM [3x2048]
– 500GB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
– 1GB ATI Radeon HD 4850 [2 DVI, HDMI and VGA adapters]
– LightScribe 16X max. DVD+/-R/RW SuperMulti drive
– Integrated 10/100/1000 (Gigabit) Ethernet, No wireless LAN
– 15-in-1 memory card reader, 2 USB, 1394, audio
– No TV Tuner w/remote control
– No speakers
– HP multimedia keyboard and HP optical mouse

1251 with tax......How does this look?