EXE files not responding, need help desperately

omer94

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
so i reinstalled windows xp pro with sp2 slipstreamed

and i tried to transfer some application installation files via my usb stick to the new pc
the computer i downloaded the programs on and am transfering from is running vista.

1 program ran, it was a driver installer for my wireless usb, but now that doesnt work anymore
and non of the other applications on their run, their logos have also disappeared leaving in place that familiar white blank window . if i do double click on a program the black window from the CMD prompt flashes then quickly disappears and im left sitting here with nothing going on desperately

could this be a hardware problem or maybe software or registry?
a little help would be appreciated

this most likely is a software problem.

One question that comes to mind, is your vista 32 or 64 bit?
what about xp? If there's a discrepancy in bit version then programs from one version might not work on other version.

as far as trouble shooting the cmd window, typically it flashes because it runs the cmd prompt as part of the program, but it encounters an error and shuts down. So, to try and see if there's any error information you'll have to turn on the cmd console, navigate and run the files in question using the cmd.

that's all I have for now

omer94

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
right, so i struggled in the command prompt idea so i phoned up a ocal professional he said that it maybe a registry problem thats causing the trouble and that me reinstalling windows xp doesnt reinstall the registry because its the same os, so i decided to install vista instead! after installing vista it all seemed to work fine, i even installed a program called ashampoo burner using its exe file. but still the problem persists in some things e.g. the exe that installs vista service pack 1. when i tried to run that through cmd prompt it saaid something along the lines of not enough memory to store application. im guessing it meant ram (i have 1 GB) so i increased the size of the paging file to 6 GB... still no luck :/

well you still didn't answer if it's 32 or 64 bit versions, that might be the problem if you are trying to mismatch the programs.

that exe to install sp1, where did it come from? I'm thinking, 1Gb might be a bit short, I don't recall what vista requirements were, but they sure aren't as high as XP.

tell you what. if you still want to have xp installed, backup all your files, reformat the harddrive and install xp fresh, so it creates the registry anew. That would be your best bet to get it working whether its a registry problem or something else.

also, I'm a bit unsure which computer is newer the one running xp or the one running vista? The computer you were reinstalling xp pro sp2 on, what OS did it originally have?

omer94

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
im sorry i havent explained well enough, all computers are running 32 bit versions of vista at the moment
the new computer with the problems is a desktop pc with a pentium 4 proccesor 1gb of ram and 80gb harddrive

the laptop im using to communicate now and the one im downloading things from is a prescario cq61, vista 32 bit, dual core, 2gb of ram

i download sp1 from microsofts own website

and im sorry to say saga lout but ive tried those aswell
`