Athlon 2 X3 425 unlocked to Phenom 2 X4

injing

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2010
Ok this is my first post so be nice. I guess I am one of the lucky ones (from other posts I have read) because I unlocked the fouth core with the 6mb L3 cache. I have two Questions: 1. Why does Firefox crash in seconds with the fouth core unlocked yet Internet explorer works fine?
2. How can I test this fourth core for stability?

Anything will help I am wanting to learn.

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
reinstall firefox and try another browser such as opera. it could be completely unrelated.

and yes use prime95 to test for stability.. 20 minutes would be fine to detect something like this but i'd go at least 4 hours to really test it.

G

unbelievable but true - just at the moment i´ve unlocked a Athlon 2X3 445 up to a Phenom 4X... (because of 3.1GHz), prime95 worked now for arround half an hour, system only takes 20 more watts out of the plug - i´m shure this will make no problem

G

but - uups - temperatures all on zero, looks like i have to make measurement at hand

G

prime stabile :bounce: , but no temps :ouch: , any ideas?

You can't monitor temps on unlocked CPUs but you can always use hardware monitor :)
I myshelf have unlocked an Athlon X3 425 to a full Phenom x4 with 6mb L3..I guess i was lucky but i have
some tips for ppl who wanna do the same..

1) Find an Athlon with CACYC stepping code they tend to have better chances to unlock to a full phenom
(for Athlon X3 425,435,440 only)

2)Aim for the Green boxed Athlon not the new Black-Green box

G

Just for the info these are my temps from my Athlon x3 425 Oced to 2.9GHz with Vcore 1.25
Running each test,Prime for 15mins(Locked and Unlocked)
Aircooled

AMD425.jpg

I can post more pics if u ask me to..

G

this temp just idle idon't know save or no , open this soft & stress Prime95 together , u can know how much max your temp when fullload test !
unlock core X3 to X4 core temp not show, no problem generaly basic unlock

1) These temps are at full load running prime for 15mins..
2)When you unlock the cpu u can't get temperatures for each core...
3)Ambient/Room Temperature is 22-23C
4) Something that i forgot to mention my cooler is ARCTIC COOLING FREEZER 7 PRO REV.2 with ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 THERMAL COMPOUND
5)My Vcore is picked up from my board automatically since my cpu is running stable so far i couldn't find any reason to set it manually

G

Well since some ppl have trusting issues there you go...
Keep in mind that in my case my core temp is around 10C lower than the overall cpu temp which is around 37C at this test..
Min and max temps are supposed to be the same when you open hardware monitor after 15min of prime and not before..

Athlon425_2.jpg