Regedit / Regedt32 automatically close when launched

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Hello:

I am using Windows XP Professional on a Dell PC. Every time I boot my machine, I get Windows Explorer open showing me the C:\Windows\System32 folder.

I read in PC Magazine that the culprit could be an application that gets launched through the Run feature that may not be on the system any more.

That's when I tried to launch RegEdit and RegEdt32 to modify my registry. But both applications close automatically immediately!

Help!

Venki

G

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

Vurus infected. Virus is closing regedit.

--
----------------------------------------------------------
And the band played ....
http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
"Venkat Venkataramanan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF5F5E93-8014-4390-8BB8-CEF19DABBCFD@microsoft.com...
> Hello:
>
> I am using Windows XP Professional on a Dell PC. Every time I boot my machine, I get Windows Explorer open showing me the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
>
> I read in PC Magazine that the culprit could be an application that gets launched through the Run feature that may not be on the system any more.
>
> That's when I tried to launch RegEdit and RegEdt32 to modify my registry. But both applications close automatically immediately!
>
> Help!
>
> Venki

G

David:

Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of regedit.exe (the_rs@hotmail.com)? Thanks.

----- David Candy wrote: -----

Vurus infected. Virus is closing regedit.

--
And the band played ....
"Venkat Venkataramanan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF5F5E93-8014-4390-8BB8-CEF19DABBCFD@microsoft.com...
> Hello:
>> I am using Windows XP Professional on a Dell PC. Every time I boot my machine, I get Windows Explorer open showing me the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
>> I read in PC Magazine that the culprit could be an application that gets launched through the Run feature that may not be on the system any more.
>> That's when I tried to launch RegEdit and RegEdt32 to modify my registry. But both applications close automatically immediately!
>> Help!
>> Venki

G

There is no regedt32 anymore. It's a stub that starts regedit.

--
And the band played ....
> Hello:
>
> I am using Windows XP Professional on a Dell PC. Every time I boot my machine, I get Windows Explorer open showing me the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
>
> I read in PC Magazine that the culprit could be an application that gets launched through the Run feature that may not be on the system any more.
>
> That's when I tried to launch RegEdit and RegEdt32 to modify my registry. But both applications close automatically immediately!
>
> Help!
>
> Venki

G

That won't help. Your file is fine. The virus check memory every couple of seconds and closes any program that it feels is a threat. It may have blocked your web access to AV sites as well.

Does Taskmanager close, Does msconfig close? Does your AV program close and can you visit your AV company web site.

--
And the band played ....
"Venkat Venkataramanan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84C9379F-206C-4BCC-8522-44C932CB3A89@microsoft.com...
> David:
>
> Would it be possible for you to send me a copy of regedit.exe (the_rs@hotmail.com)? Thanks.
>
>
> ----- David Candy wrote: -----
>
> Vurus infected. Virus is closing regedit.
>
> --
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> And the band played ....
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
> "Venkat Venkataramanan" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AF5F5E93-8014-4390-8BB8-CEF19DABBCFD@microsoft.com...
> > Hello:
> >> I am using Windows XP Professional on a Dell PC. Every time I boot my machine, I get Windows Explorer open showing me the C:\Windows\System32 folder.
> >> I read in PC Magazine that the culprit could be an application that gets launched through the Run feature that may not be on the system any more.
> >> That's when I tried to launch RegEdit and RegEdt32 to modify my registry. But both applications close automatically immediately!
> >> Help!
> >> Venki
>