jadamselectroncis

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
Okay, I've got a 4-pin power connector, my mobo is recommending an 8-pin power connector, however the motherboard has 4 of pins covered on the motherboard like I can use 4 and be ok.

I'm going to be using a 600W power supply and running an AMD Phenom II Quad Core processor.

What should I do?

jadamselectroncis

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
I'm going to be using 2x nVidia Geforce 7800 GT's for now, quad core amd phenom II processor, ASUS M4A79 Deluxe mobo, and 4gb (2gb x 2)OCZ Ram 240-pin 1066/800 cas latency 5-5-5

jadamselectroncis

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
oh and by the way, the PSU has supported an AMD 64 3500+, 2gb (1gb x 2) DDR SDRAM PC3200 400MHz FSB, asus a78nx-e deluxe mobo, and my 2 video cards listed above without problem for over a year now

really the only upgrade i can afford right now is from an ide hard drive and dvd burner to a sata one, the new mobo, the new RAM, and the new quad core processor. i know graphics cards need more power, but i'm not upgrading those until i have enough money for a new PSU & 4 Video Cards all together.

It will most likely work fine, but can you let us know what PSU you have and then we'll be able to confirm if it will work or not. If you want to keep it secret, then go ahead and just try it. The worst that could happen is a failed PSU (and possibly other components if it's poor quality).

Okia isn't well known, but it's fine for the price. It's the equivalent of a quality 500W PSU which is plenty for your system. On Newegg, none of the reviewers complained about component failures other than the PSU itself. That PSU was designed for P4 systems (it provides only 24A on the 12V rail), not for newer systems.

jadamselectroncis

Distinguished
May 2, 2009
alright, well we'll find out monday for sure. im going to see if this one can last me at least 2 weeks before i get an antec or something. now i'm thinking about going ATi Crossfire instead of nVidia SLi. Which one is more highly recommended, and if so, to get good bang for my buck video cards, what wattage power supply would i need to run dual or quad Crossfire or SLi?