How come my CPU does not have higher speed?

ionosphere

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2010
First of all, I am using AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+. Originally, it runs at 2 GHz. Normally, if the processor/voltage change is set to "auto", it will drain 1.4 V and 2.0GHz. That is the maximum voltage, and at 0% load, the temperature is 50 C. Thanks to a friend, I realized that I have been leaving it like this for several years. This isn't good for the computer, so I drop the voltage to 1.150 V. Test Crunching it for 8 hours prove that it is > 90% stable and I've been using it for months now. There is no problem. Temperature at 0% load also drop to only 37 C.

Now, I think if my desktop can handle 1.4 V pretty well after all those years, why not try overclock it up? I have never tried overclocking before, so please advice if there is something I am missing. So I put the voltage back to 1.4 V and try change Processor Multiplier to x11 2200 MHz. Try running it up. The system loads just fine. Temperature is back to 50 C at idle, but during the boot sequence, I have been informed that my Dual Core is still 2.0 GHz. I checked in Windows, it also says 2.0GHz.

Am I missing something? Or is it impossible to overclock in this case? I have provided additional images of my BIOS below. Please advise. Thank you.

photo2kb.jpg

photo3pq.jpg

photoel.jpg

Latest posts