Any modded drivers for Quadro cards?

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
I put a Quadro FX1400 in the new computer I built my dad. My little brother will be playing some older games on it like FEAR Combat and Company of Heroes so I think that card would do ok. I believe it is somewhere around a Geforce 6600 in performance.

Anyway, I just went to download the drivers from Nvidia and they are only 40mb opposed to the Geforce 6 drivers near 80mb. So are the Quadro drivers missing the stuff needed for gaming? They must be missing something.

Any tips?

tijmen007

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I do not recommend gaming on a graphics card designed for designing software, which is a bit diffrent as games. The drivers are probaly smaller because it's focused on a specific thing, designing .. xd ( like AutoCAD and stuff )

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007

It is the only extra PCI-E card I have so its what I'm going to use. The thing is slow, was outdated at release and I don't care if I fry it. I know it will run FEAR, Warcraft 3 and COH for my little brother so thats all that matters.

Geforce 6 doesn't have PhysX support and the drivers are the same size as the ones for my 8800. Is there only one download no matter what Geforce card you have or something? Why would the Geforce 6 have the extra PhysX stuff if that wasn't the case?

Are Quadro cards missing hardware that is on Geforce cards? I have heard of turning certain Geforce cards into Quadro but not the other way around.

meodowla

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008

I think Quadro cards have different type of pipings than the GeForce cards. And so Quadros are powerful enough to render a single image in 3D with full dimensional exposure. GeForce cards are designed for performance(not for quality).

nkarasch

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007

Oh ok. All I knew is that they are good with OpenGL. So rendering a full image in 3D with fully dimensional exposure = solid modelling?

anyway thanks the explanation. I guess it will game what it will game. Nothing can improve it.