Help with registry key

Hi All,

I tried to use a utility recently which is supposed to change registry keys
temporarily while installing a driver.
Anyway, to cut along story short the utility failed to reset the registry
key on exit.
It set the value of the key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName

to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but I am
not sure if this is correct.
I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
"Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Sp1a" for instance.

Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the value of
the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?

TIA,
Dave

P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted the
utility :(
12 answers Last reply
More about help registry

    Hi

    Has that Registry program got an 'undo' option? If so try that. What may not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same time.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message news:ePDM1FTLEHA.2068@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    | Hi All,
    |
    | I tried to use a utility recently which is supposed to change registry keys
    | temporarily while installing a driver.
    | Anyway, to cut along story short the utility failed to reset the registry
    | key on exit.
    | It set the value of the key:
    |
    | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName
    |
    | to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    | I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but I am
    | not sure if this is correct.
    | I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
    | "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    | Sp1a" for instance.
    |
    | Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the value of
    | the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?
    |
    | TIA,
    | Dave
    |
    | P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted the
    | utility :(

    ---

    Thanks for the quick reply Will.

    I can't see an undo option in regedit and if it does have one, I'm not sure
    it would work after closing the program and reopening.
    As regards changes to other registry keys, it is a worry but other entries
    in the same section
    (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion) refer to
    xp.
    In comments I read by others who have used the utilty (sadly after I had
    used it) they seem to think that only the ProductName key is changed, but I
    can't be sure :(

    Dave

    >Hi

    >Has that Registry program got an 'undo' option? If so try that. What may
    not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same time.

    "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    | Hi All,
    |
    | I tried to use a utility recently which is supposed to change registry
    keys
    | temporarily while installing a driver.
    | Anyway, to cut along story short the utility failed to reset the registry
    | key on exit.
    | It set the value of the key:
    |
    | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName

    | to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    | I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but I
    am
    | not sure if this is correct.
    | I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
    | "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    | Sp1a" for instance.
    |
    | Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the value of
    | the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?
    |
    | TIA,
    | Dave
    |
    | P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted the
    | utility :(

    ---

    Hi Dave

    Some of these 'Registry helper' programs are more trouble than they are worth. My Registry has over 200,000 entries - trying to check the 'actual' changes against a program that is 'thought' to have changed only one key is not very easy. What is the name of the 'utlility' that you used?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message news:O1kjSpTLEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    | Thanks for the quick reply Will.
    |
    | I can't see an undo option in regedit and if it does have one, I'm not sure
    | it would work after closing the program and reopening.
    | As regards changes to other registry keys, it is a worry but other entries
    | in the same section
    | (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion) refer to
    | xp.
    | In comments I read by others who have used the utilty (sadly after I had
    | used it) they seem to think that only the ProductName key is changed, but I
    | can't be sure :(
    |
    | Dave
    |
    | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | >Hi
    |
    | >Has that Registry program got an 'undo' option? If so try that. What may
    | not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same time.
    |

    | "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    | | Hi All,
    | |
    | | I tried to use a utility recently which is supposed to change registry
    | keys
    | | temporarily while installing a driver.
    | | Anyway, to cut along story short the utility failed to reset the registry
    | | key on exit.
    | | It set the value of the key:
    | |
    | | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    | NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName
    | |
    | | to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    | | I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but I
    | am
    | | not sure if this is correct.
    | | I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
    | | "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    | | Sp1a" for instance.
    | |
    | | Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the value of
    | | the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?
    | |
    | | TIA,
    | | Dave
    | |
    | | P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted the
    | | utility :(
    | |
    | |

    | ---

    ---

    Hi Will,
    I not sure if the utility is specific to the driver I was trying to install
    but the name of it was fixwinxp.exe.
    It is supposed to temporarily change a registry setting, prompt you for a
    driver install, the change the registry entry back after the install.

    >Hi Dave

    >Some of these 'Registry helper' programs are more trouble than they are
    worth. My Registry has over 200,000 entries - trying to check the 'actual'
    changes >against a program that is 'thought' to have changed only one key is
    not very easy. What is the name of the 'utlility' that you used?

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    | Thanks for the quick reply Will.
    |
    | I can't see an undo option in regedit and if it does have one, I'm not
    sure
    | it would work after closing the program and reopening.
    | As regards changes to other registry keys, it is a worry but other entries
    | in the same section
    | (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion) refer to
    | xp.
    | In comments I read by others who have used the utilty (sadly after I had
    | used it) they seem to think that only the ProductName key is changed, but
    | can't be sure :(
    |
    | Dave
    |
    | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | >Hi
    |
    | >Has that Registry program got an 'undo' option? If so try that. What
    may
    | not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same time.
    |

    | "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    | | Hi All,
    | |
    | | I tried to use a utility recently which is supposed to change registry
    | keys
    | | temporarily while installing a driver.
    | | Anyway, to cut along story short the utility failed to reset the
    registry
    | | key on exit.
    | | It set the value of the key:
    | |
    | | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    | NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName
    | |
    | | to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    | | I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but I
    | am
    | | not sure if this is correct.
    | | I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
    | | "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    | | Sp1a" for instance.
    | |
    | | Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the value
    of
    | | the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?
    | |
    | | TIA,
    | | Dave
    | |
    | | P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted the
    | | utility :(
    | |
    | |

    | ---

    ---

    Hi

    There are XP drivers here - but you will to use the following to access that site. If that doesn't take you directly to the page, you will have search for the drivers:

    Username - drivers
    Password - all

    http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=dosearch&qm0=600cu&qa5=21&qa6=707&dp=2&sm=b&jmd=and

    follow the on screen prompts - you will get a least one 'red' warning about the download.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message news:OTqnnOULEHA.1612@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    | Hi Will,
    | I not sure if the utility is specific to the driver I was trying to install
    | but the name of it was fixwinxp.exe.
    | It is supposed to temporarily change a registry setting, prompt you for a
    | driver install, the change the registry entry back after the install.
    |
    | >"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | >Hi Dave
    |
    | >Some of these 'Registry helper' programs are more trouble than they are
    | worth. My Registry has over 200,000 entries - trying to check the 'actual'
    | changes >against a program that is 'thought' to have changed only one key is
    | not very easy. What is the name of the 'utlility' that you used?
    |
    | --
    |
    | Will Denny
    | MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    |

    | "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    | | Thanks for the quick reply Will.
    | |
    | | I can't see an undo option in regedit and if it does have one, I'm not
    | sure
    | | it would work after closing the program and reopening.
    | | As regards changes to other registry keys, it is a worry but other entries
    | | in the same section
    | | (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion) refer to
    | | xp.
    | | In comments I read by others who have used the utilty (sadly after I had
    | | used it) they seem to think that only the ProductName key is changed, but
    | | can't be sure :(
    | |
    | | Dave
    | |
    | | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | | >Hi
    | |
    | | >Has that Registry program got an 'undo' option? If so try that. What
    | may
    | | not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same time.
    | |
    | |
    | | "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    | | | Hi All,
    | | |
    | | | I tried to use a utility recently which is supposed to change registry
    | | keys
    | | | temporarily while installing a driver.
    | | | Anyway, to cut along story short the utility failed to reset the
    | registry
    | | | key on exit.
    | | | It set the value of the key:
    | | |
    | | | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    | | NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName
    | | |
    | | | to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    | | | I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but I
    | | am
    | | | not sure if this is correct.
    | | | I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
    | | | "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP
    | Professional
    | | | Sp1a" for instance.
    | | |
    | | | Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the value
    | of
    | | | the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?
    | | |
    | | | TIA,
    | | | Dave
    | | |
    | | | P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted the
    | | | utility :(
    | | |
    | | |
    | |
    | |
    | | ---
    | |
    | |

    | ---

    ---
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Cheers Will, I will check it out

    Hi

    There are XP drivers here - but you will to use the following to access that
    site. If that doesn't take you directly to the page, you will have search
    for the drivers:

    Username - drivers
    Password - all

    http://members.driverguide.com/index.php?action=dosearch&qm0=600cu&qa5=21&qa
    6=707&dp=2&sm=b&jmd=and

    follow the on screen prompts - you will get a least one 'red' warning about
    the download.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    | Hi Will,
    | I not sure if the utility is specific to the driver I was trying to
    install
    | but the name of it was fixwinxp.exe.
    | It is supposed to temporarily change a registry setting, prompt you for a
    | driver install, the change the registry entry back after the install.
    |
    | >"Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | >Hi Dave
    |
    | >Some of these 'Registry helper' programs are more trouble than they are
    | worth. My Registry has over 200,000 entries - trying to check the
    'actual'
    | changes >against a program that is 'thought' to have changed only one key
    is
    | not very easy. What is the name of the 'utlility' that you used?
    |
    | --
    |
    | Will Denny
    | MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
    |

    | "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    | | Thanks for the quick reply Will.
    | |
    | | I can't see an undo option in regedit and if it does have one, I'm not
    | sure
    | | it would work after closing the program and reopening.
    | | As regards changes to other registry keys, it is a worry but other
    entries
    | | in the same section
    | | (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion) refer
    | | xp.
    | | In comments I read by others who have used the utilty (sadly after I had
    | | used it) they seem to think that only the ProductName key is changed,
    but
    | | can't be sure :(
    | |
    | | Dave
    | |
    | | "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    | | >Hi
    | |
    | | >Has that Registry program got an 'undo' option? If so try that. What
    | may
    | | not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same
    time.
    | |
    | |
    | | "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    | | | Hi All,
    | | |
    | | | I tried to use a utility recently which is supposed to change registry
    | | keys
    | | | temporarily while installing a driver.
    | | | Anyway, to cut along story short the utility failed to reset the
    | registry
    | | | key on exit.
    | | | It set the value of the key:
    | | |
    | | | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    | | NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName
    | | |
    | | | to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    | | | I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but
    | | am
    | | | not sure if this is correct.
    | | | I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
    | | | "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP
    | Professional
    | | | Sp1a" for instance.
    | | |
    | | | Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the
    value
    | of
    | | | the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?
    | | |
    | | | TIA,
    | | | Dave
    | | |
    | | | P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted
    the
    | | | utility :(
    | | |
    | | |
    | |
    | |
    | | ---
    | |
    | |

    | ---

    ---
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Microsoft Windows XP

    Install stuff using compatability wizard in future. If source files are on a HD make sure you undo it as well.

    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message news:O1kjSpTLEHA.2624@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Thanks for the quick reply Will.
    >
    > I can't see an undo option in regedit and if it does have one, I'm not sure
    > it would work after closing the program and reopening.
    > As regards changes to other registry keys, it is a worry but other entries
    > in the same section
    > (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion) refer to
    > xp.
    > In comments I read by others who have used the utilty (sadly after I had
    > used it) they seem to think that only the ProductName key is changed, but I
    > can't be sure :(
    >
    > Dave

    > >Hi
    >
    > >Has that Registry program got an 'undo' option? If so try that. What may
    > not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same time.
    >

    > "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    > | Hi All,
    > |
    > | I tried to use a utility recently which is supposed to change registry
    > keys
    > | temporarily while installing a driver.
    > | Anyway, to cut along story short the utility failed to reset the registry
    > | key on exit.
    > | It set the value of the key:
    > |
    > | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName
    > |
    > | to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    > | I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but I
    > am
    > | not sure if this is correct.
    > | I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
    > | "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    > | Sp1a" for instance.
    > |
    > | Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the value of
    > | the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?
    > |
    > | TIA,
    > | Dave
    > |
    > | P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted the
    > | utility :(
    > |

    > ---

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Cheers David,
    I am new to XP (as you will have guessed).I will have to read up on the
    compatability wizard.
    Does it mean that I can intall a Windows 2000 driver under XP?
    The driver I am wanting to install is for a USB scanner (Mustek 600 CU).

    TIA,
    Dave

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    Microsoft Windows XP

    Install stuff using compatability wizard in future. If source files are on a
    HD make sure you undo it as well.

    And the band played ....
    http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the quick reply Will.
    >
    > I can't see an undo option in regedit and if it does have one, I'm not
    sure
    > it would work after closing the program and reopening.
    > As regards changes to other registry keys, it is a worry but other entries
    > in the same section
    > (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion) refer to
    > xp.
    > In comments I read by others who have used the utilty (sadly after I had
    > used it) they seem to think that only the ProductName key is changed, but
    > can't be sure :(
    >
    > Dave

    > >Hi
    >
    > >Has that Registry program got an 'undo' option? If so try that. What
    may
    > not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same time.
    >

    > "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    > | Hi All,
    > |
    > | I tried to use a utility recently which is supposed to change registry
    > keys
    > | temporarily while installing a driver.
    > | Anyway, to cut along story short the utility failed to reset the
    registry
    > | key on exit.
    > | It set the value of the key:
    > |
    > | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName
    > |
    > | to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    > | I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but I
    > am
    > | not sure if this is correct.
    > | I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
    > | "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional
    > | Sp1a" for instance.
    > |
    > | Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the value
    of
    > | the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?
    > |
    > | TIA,
    > | Dave
    > |
    > | P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted the
    > | utility :(
    > |

    > ---

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    I have no idea if you can (can you install?), but the setup program, if a well known one, will think it's on 2000. (It should be asking windows what version not reading the registry)

    The programmers made a mistake

    Did

    If Version = 5 then install

    instead of

    If Version => 5 then install
    "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message news:%23FKpxRULEHA.340@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Cheers David,
    > I am new to XP (as you will have guessed).I will have to read up on the
    > compatability wizard.
    > Does it mean that I can intall a Windows 2000 driver under XP?
    > The driver I am wanting to install is for a USB scanner (Mustek 600 CU).
    >
    > TIA,
    > Dave
    >
    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Microsoft Windows XP
    >
    > Install stuff using compatability wizard in future. If source files are on a
    > HD make sure you undo it as well.

    > And the band played ....
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    > "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the quick reply Will.
    > >
    > > I can't see an undo option in regedit and if it does have one, I'm not
    > sure
    > > it would work after closing the program and reopening.
    > > As regards changes to other registry keys, it is a worry but other entries
    > > in the same section
    > > (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion) refer to
    > > xp.
    > > In comments I read by others who have used the utilty (sadly after I had
    > > used it) they seem to think that only the ProductName key is changed, but
    > > can't be sure :(
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > >Hi
    > >
    > > >Has that Registry program got an 'undo' option? If so try that. What
    > may
    > > not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same time.
    > >

    > > "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    > > | Hi All,
    > > |
    > > | I tried to use a utility recently which is supposed to change registry
    > > keys
    > > | temporarily while installing a driver.
    > > | Anyway, to cut along story short the utility failed to reset the
    > registry
    > > | key on exit.
    > > | It set the value of the key:
    > > |
    > > | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > > NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName
    > > |
    > > | to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    > > | I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but I
    > > am
    > > | not sure if this is correct.
    > > | I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
    > > | "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional
    > > | Sp1a" for instance.
    > > |
    > > | Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the value
    > of
    > > | the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?
    > > |
    > > | TIA,
    > > | Dave
    > > |
    > > | P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted the
    > > | utility :(
    > > |

    > > ---

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Sorry David I wasn't clear.
    I mean can I intall a Windows 2000 driver on XP *using the compatability
    wizard*?

> [...]

    > > | key on exit.
    > > | It set the value of the key:
    > > |
    > > | HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
    > > NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName
    > > |
    > > | to "Microsoft Windows 2000".
    > > | I manually reset the value to "Microsoft Windows XP" using regedit but
    > > am
    > > | not sure if this is correct.
    > > | I have Windows XP Professional Sp1a so the value of the key could be:
    > > | "Microsoft Windows XP Professional" or "Microsoft Windows XP
    > Professional
    > > | Sp1a" for instance.
    > > |
    > > | Could someone with Windows XP Professional Sp1a please check the
    value
    > of
    > > | the registry key I mentioned above with regedit?
    > > |
    > > | TIA,
    > > | Dave
    > > |
    > > | P.S. I know I was stupid not backing up the registry, but I trusted

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    If your driver will work I don't know and can't be bothered going to mustak's site to find out. Seeing you have been there.

    If it's a well known setup program then yes. Otherwise who knows. They screwed up once. I don't know. You have the software, I don't. It will take you 2 minutes to find out.

    "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message news:OEhHIkULEHA.628@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Sorry David I wasn't clear.
    > I mean can I intall a Windows 2000 driver on XP *using the compatability
    > wizard*?
    >

    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > I have no idea if you can (can you install?), but the setup program, if a
    > well known one, will think it's on 2000. (It should be asking windows what
    > version not reading the registry)
    >
    > The programmers made a mistake
    >
    > Did
    >
    > If Version = 5 then install
    >
    > instead of
    >
    > If Version => 5 then install
    > And the band played ....
    > http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    > "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    > > Cheers David,
    > > I am new to XP (as you will have guessed).I will have to read up on the
    > > compatability wizard.
    > > Does it mean that I can intall a Windows 2000 driver under XP?
    > > The driver I am wanting to install is for a USB scanner (Mustek 600 CU).
    > >
    > > TIA,
    > > Dave
    > >
    > > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > Microsoft Windows XP
    > >
    > > Install stuff using compatability wizard in future. If source files are on
    > > HD make sure you undo it as well.
    > >
    > > --
    > > And the band played ....
    > > http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html
    > > "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for the quick reply Will.
    > > >
    > > > I can't see an undo option in regedit and if it does have one, I'm not
    > > sure
    > > > it would work after closing the program and reopening.
    > > > As regards changes to other registry keys, it is a worry but other
    > entries
    > > > in the same section
    > > > (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion) refer
    > > > xp.
    > > > In comments I read by others who have used the utilty (sadly after I had
    > > > used it) they seem to think that only the ProductName key is changed,
    > but
    > > > can't be sure :(
    > > >
    > > > Dave
    > > >
    > > > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    > > may
    > > > not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same
    > time.
    > > >

    > > > "David Cameron" <nomail@to.me> wrote in message

    > > > keys
    > > registry

    > > > NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName

    > > > am
    > > Professional

    > value
    > > of

    > the
    > > > |

    > > > ---

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Sorry David I don't understand.

    I am not talking about the utility I used earlier to install the driver. I
    am talking about using the *compatability wizard* that *you* mentioned
    earlier
    to install a official Windows 2000 driver under Windows XP.
    I am not asking you to find any drivers for me, I was simply asking if the
    compatability wizard can be used to intall Windows 2000 drivers under
    Windows XP generally.
    I only mentioned the specific device in case this made any difference to
    weather the compatability wizard could be used.
    I thank you for your initial reply, but now your replies seem rude and
    offhand (especially for an MVP).
    I will investigate the compatability wizard elsewhere, so don't feel
    compelled to reply (unless you want to)

> [...]

    > > sure
    > > > it would work after closing the program and reopening.
    > > > As regards changes to other registry keys, it is a worry but other
    > entries
    > > > in the same section
    > > > (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion)
    refer
    > > > xp.
    > > > In comments I read by others who have used the utilty (sadly after I
    had
    > > > used it) they seem to think that only the ProductName key is changed,
    > but
    > > > can't be sure :(
    > > >
    > > > Dave
    > > >
    > > > "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote in message

    What
    > > may
    > > > not be known, is if any other Registry keys were changed at the same

Configuration Registry Microsoft Windows XP