Xp instal stops at reboot (sata problem)

bill_46

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Folks,

My old version of xp was getting a little quirky, so I decided to go for a clean install.

I have a MA78GPM-DS2H Gigabyte mobo, with a Phenom II x4 940. My XP Professional is pre-sp.

When i went through the install process it copied all the files just fine, then when it went to reboot it started the dam process again, and again. I messed with the bios but could not find a good config other then my original one. It was running before I reformatted the hard drive.

I did read that I need third party drives, but I ran into the crazy problem where I needed a floppy disc- when was the last time we needed them?

Any suggestiosn for a work-around on this pig? If I upgrade to Vista (and I am loath to) will this recognise my Sata drive and move on as normal?

Bill

mikey5802

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009

I have a version of XP pre-SP as well and I have to load the SATA drivers for the HD (to actuall be recognized). You should be prompted early during the install to press F6 to load any third party drivers. You'll have to do either that or upgrade your OS to a later version of XP or Vista that has built-in drivers for the SATA chip in your system. You didn't mention which MOBO you have. My ASUS borad has both the Intel ICH5R and a Promise Riad controller chip and I can use either one, but I have to F6 and load the drivers. I'm sorry, but I don't recall which later version of XP has the built=in drivers. You may be able to research that, then ceate a new ISO image with the updated XP service patches. I recall reading somewhere that it can be done but I don't know how. On the other hand, you could buy a 10.00 floppy and floppy cable and just attach it to your system (not necessarily completely install the drive in your case) long enough to get the job done.

Hope this helps.

bilbat

Splendid
When you need a floppy, well, you need a floppy; they're only useful twice a year, but sometimes they're the only (or easiest) way to get a given job done. I have to have on to support ancient copy-protect stuff - my main complaint isn't the cost ($25 with a USB card reader setup), it's the fact that 'there goes another drive bay'!

That said, this procedure, while aimed at AHCI, may help with the solution:
http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-hardware/112584-how-enable-ahci-raid-mode-without-reinstalling-windows-p35-ich9-ich9r.html

The best solution is to dl a copy of Windows7βRC1 - once you try it, you'll never look back!

qhorque

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
If you have access to another computer, you can go the route to "slipstream" a new Windows XP CD complete with SP3 and your SATA drivers included. It's a bit involved but, once you do it, you'll never want to install your OS any differently. Plus you'll learn a new skill in the process.

However, I am still using the original floppy drive from my very first computer from 1994 and put it in every new computer I build. It doesn't hurt to have it when I need it.

I say go buy a cheap floppy drive and install it anyway!