I'm Scared to Build It! Need some encouragement...

TechPriestAcolyte

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2009
Ok, I've finalized my parts:

CPU - Q6600
Cool - Xigmatek Dark Knight (s1283)
MOBO - Gigabyte P45-UD3P
GPU - Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 1gb
RAM - G.Skill PI Black 4gb
HD - WD Caviar Black 500gb
Optical - LG 22x SATA Model

Case - Antec 900
PSU - Corsair 750TX

And I plan to get some arctic silver thermal compound for the Dark Knight.

I know this is a good setup, but I've got several worries.

1 - I was reading about the crashing issues of the Sapphire Radeon cards... Why are so many people getting this? It's almost enough to make we just get a GeForce and call it done. Is this something to be worried about?

2 - How does the RMA work with newegg? Say I get a defective video card right off the bat, am I supposed to deal with Sapphire, or do I return it to Newegg? I pay for shipping, what else am I going to be out of pocket for? I hate the idea of buying something that is defective, and then I have to PAY further to fix the issue...

3 - Supposing I manage to read the manuals and put everything together without dropping and breaking things. What do I do when I plug everything in and push the power button and it doesn't work...?

4 - Suppose the power does come on, I get the OS installed, and then my video games have artifacts, my system crashes, I get random reboots, and my system runs too hot... How scary should these issues be?

5 - How do the warranties on most product's work anyways? How does Intel fulfill its duties regarding it's CPU, how does Corsair take care of my PSU dying? What if it destroys my whole computer?

Anyone have any kind words to say about the situation? I'm totally stoked about getting a new machine to play stuff on, but I'm just scared to death it's all going to wrong...

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I know you've decided, but I'd recommend a Q9300 over a Q6600, faster & cooler at stock, will OC pretty well with that mobo.

640GB is a bit faster than the 500.

You don't need Arctic Silver, the Xigmatech comes with paste.

1 - Haven't heard anything about Sapphire cards crashing. I used a Sapphire 9500Pro for over 5 years, and was still working fine when I replaced it. What makes you think there are no GeForce cards that have issues?

2 - If it is defective right off the bat, you'll deal with newegg. I don't know about their RMA process, maybe someone else can fill you in on that, or just contact newegg and ask. I have heard bad things about Sapphire's customer service and they will charge a fee to replace a card in warranty. Visiontek and XFX both offer lifetime warranties on their cards.

3 - Ask for help, but if you take your time and care when building, it should work fine.

4 - Not too scary. If modern CPUs run too hot they will shut off.

5 - If you have an issue with a component, you contact the company involved. Read the warranties for the components for all the details, or contact them for more information. Modern good quality PSUs such as Corsair have built in safeguards to prevent that. Corsair support is very good, and they would probably take care of you.

Like I said before, take your time and take care, and everything should work just fine. Most of all, have fun! :)

coleman

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
1.i have a Sapphire Radeon and have had no problems with crashing

3. there are many websites and forums out there that can help you with problems and such as this one. No dout that if you come across a problem then someone would have a solotion so just post here and we will do our best to help.

4. you will come across problems for sure but im sure you have the brain power to figure them out, its not to hard Just ask google.
- crashes can be caused by software and hardware so you will just have to keep an eye on temps and create restor points to ensure that you can undo any changes that you have made. I started getting crashes when i built my first computer and imediatly thought that it was a hardware problem but i found out it was a problem with team speak (software)
- use core temp to measure the temps and also have a look in the bios every now and again to ensure that core temp is correct.

i have heard many problems with people trying to boot with multiple sticks of RAM installed, so i would suggest just using a single 2gb stick in your case and add the other after you have installed the os.

hope this info helps

ericjohnson1981

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
Holy. You're feelin a bit jumpy there. Relax. Anyway, if you're worried, ask your friend to help you build your computer (no. not your friend who knows nthn bout comps. d one that already assembled one before)

Instead of Q6600 try going all the way to Q9550. I heard its good but Q9300 would also be better than the Q6600.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
If you are not going to OC then you can save some money and just use the stock HFS.
Unless you like the looks of the Dark Knight then that's "cool" also......lol.

I just buildt my first last weekend.
I had to sned the MO (Asus P6T Deluxe) back to NewEgg. Had to pay 12.00 shipping.....

Just move very slowly when in the case.
Don't press down hard on the MO when installing things!

I drilled two additional holes in back of my Antec 900 case to run cables.
Looks nice if I say so myself....

Good Luck

Mark

TomNJ

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

Nothing wrong with the Q6600. There is always going to be another processor out there that's a little better and a little more expensive -- and it's very tempting to just spend a little more money to get the next thing. And then you can justify spending just a "little" more to move up yet another step!

In this industry, "buyer's remorse" can set in after one week. :)