Need advice on upgrading my machine.

DamnYouNiko

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
Hey everyone! I'm lookin' to upgrade my old system, and would love to hear some advice from you. I haven't upgraded for about 4 years and I notice that there is just so damn much to consider on newegg. Now I only have about $400 (give or take $50) that I'd like to spend, but I'm only going to upgrade my motherboard, video card, cpu and memory. I think 400 should be a reasonable amount, not sure though.

I mainly play Fallout3, Oblivion, Doom3, GMod, and most recently bought GTA4, but for those that have that game know that it requires some pretty powerful specs to run it... well more powerful than mine, because I can't even run that game with all settings on low... everything's just gray with niko running around an empty world that has some sort of strobe effect on. Seriously the game was at like 2fps. It made me sad..

Soo, time for an upgrade! Too bad i'm getting way too overwhelmed looking at everything on newegg. I'm smart enough to put together a computer (it doesn't take much smarts), but I'm not smart enough to decide what exactly it is that I want to get, or should get. I'd like to play future game titles so that something to consider. GTA4 just really kicked my computers ass and pretty much told me I should probably get some better hardware.

This is my current system:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.211GHz

VGA: EVGA GeForce 7800 GT 256MBs

Motherboard: nVidia nForce 4 Ultra

Memory: 2GBs

Yeah, my system will probably seem fairly outdated to the majority of you and I know this is asking for a lot, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

To clarify again. I'm only looking to spend around $400 on upgrading my MOBO, CPU, VGA and Memory. I play and am looking to play the bigger gaming titles that will probably require a faster graphics output, but I also dink around with photoshopCS and Premier.. but that won't matter much, because i'm no pro...

Thanks! and I hope to hear from you soon!

Hardware Component Price
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale
(Dual-core 2.66GHz 3MB Shared L2 1066FSB) $120
Cooling CPU Retail HSF -
Video Powercolor AX4830 512MD3-H Radeon HD 4830 $85
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R $120
Memory G.Skill 4GB DDR2-800 Kit (KVR800D2N5K2/4G) $40

Total $450.00

kikiki

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Hi, I am a real amateur in hardware. I am also considering upgrading my system for around $400. I bought this built in DELL long time ago:
Dell DIMENSION 8400
PENTIUM(R) 4 CPU 3.00ghz
2.99 GHz, 2.5 Gb Ram
ATI Radeon x800 SE

I was just wondering the how better is the recommend above compare to my old system ? (eg 2, 3 times?)

I need to update for 3d graphic design, such as solidworks, cad, photoshop.

Can some one please help me answer this question?