Solved

I7 860 + DDR3 2000mhz (want lower CAS)

Dear reader: :hello:

Since my latest build, I have not done a lot of overclocking. I set up my system, setup my OC, tested, checked daily temps, and have simply run the system since then. I'd like to look now into perhaps running my memory at a lower CAS or even lowering overall timings. For this, I'd really like a little input from the OC community before I delve too deep.

System overview:

* Win7 x64 Pro
* Intel i7 860 (@3800mhz) -- will repost BCLK etc on this once I have a chance to double check
* Asus Maximus III Formula
* 4GB G Skill DDR3 "Ripjaws" 2000mhz (stock speed) 9-9-9-27 1.65v
(CPU-Z specs in my sig for more)

As is, all memory voltages and timings are stock. The memory is 2000mhz, I'd like to see if I could run it at CAS8 or even 7. Anyone have recommendations, advice, experience? All replies welcome! :sol:
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about ddr3 2000mhz want lower
  1. You have to sacrifice somewhere.
  2. In the spirit of helping, I'm hoping for a bit more information..

Sacrifice somewhere? Assuming you mean I can run 2000mhz or run lower timings, you are probably not far from the truth; however, an explanation--or more information---would really be nice.

Anyone have experience working with DDR3 2000mhz or perhaps the Asus Maximuss III board???
  3. Try lowering the timings in the bios and test for stability it will either run at that speed or it won't.
  4. Thanks, Simon. I agree, I've tweaked with it a bit--having trouble finding some solid timings--so I was just kinda hoping someone would stumble across this thread and say "Hey I tried ___ and it worked" ya know?

Tryin to remain hopeful ;)
  5. lol you have to be hopeful.
  6. As of now, none of my tests have yielded anything worthwhile. Under the advice of OvrClkr I started looking into boosting my CPU OC rather than hossing around with my RAM.

Currently stress testing 4.1ghz at 1.28v all good so far.
  7. Turns out dropping to 4040mhz rather than 4100 spared me 4 degrees on my peak temp, so I'm callin it cool with 4ghz. Not bad for air cooling. I don't feel like messing with it much more for now. Holding here for the time being.
  8. Best answer
    yea if your ram starts to act up at lower timings I would just leave it alone. Ram that is rated at 2000Mhz is normally CAS9 with the exception of a few models that run at 8-9-8-24 or 9-8-9-25. Those Ripjaws are plenty fast at stock, it won't cause any bottleneck whatsoever when OC'ing the CPU.
  9. You're right per usual, OvrClkr. Dicked around with my settings a ton, tried a bunch of new OC profiles -- kept blue screening in-game. Oddly it was doing fine with stress tests. Need to keep tweaking I guess. 4ghz passed stress tests, but blue screened in game...so I am back at 3.8ghz cpu and 2000mhz 9-9-9-27. Good enough is going to have to be good enough yah? hahah thanks for the help guys
  10. Best answer selected by dirtdiver.
  11. dirtdiver said:
    You're right per usual, OvrClkr. Dicked around with my settings a ton, tried a bunch of new OC profiles -- kept blue screening in-game. Oddly it was doing fine with stress tests. Need to keep tweaking I guess. 4ghz passed stress tests, but blue screened in game...so I am back at 3.8ghz cpu and 2000mhz 9-9-9-27. Good enough is going to have to be good enough yah? hahah thanks for the help guys

don't even sweat it ;) , 3.8Ghz is more than enough CPU power for ANY game. Your CPU at 3.8Ghz is basically the same as mine at 4.3Ghz give or take. I cant even max out my CPU utilization at 3.8Ghz when playing games, you will see more gains working with the GPU rather than your CPU at that clock.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory Intel i7 Overclocking