Sign in with
Your question

ASUS- USB problems.

Last response: in Motherboards
July 2, 2009 1:26:43 PM

Hey guys, I'm having some USB problems. Whenever I try to plug my iphone into a USB port, it flicks constantly on/off charging state. After a bit of tinkering, I found that that by removing my USB mouse or keyboard, the iphone works. So 2 items + iphone is bad. 1 item + iphone is good. I posted on the iphone forums and they mentioned the iphone requiring high charge USB 2.0 and it might be on my end.

The iphone works perfectly and charges perfectly on my other 2001 XP labtop, it has 2 usb ports(also usb 1.0).

System specs.

PSupply- Coolmaster Real power pro 750W
ASUS M4N72-E AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 750a SLI ATX AMD
AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor - (OVERCLOCKED TO 3.6)
PNY VCG88512GXPB GeForce 8800GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI
G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
HD CLARION PLUS(sound card)
1 sata Raid array 0
1 storage HD
1 32 GB flash SSD

Wireless mouse, plug in saitek keyboard.

Running a fresh install of windows 7 64 RC. I installed the most recent vista 64 motherboard drivers. The issue is still not fixed. The motherboard has 6 USB 2.0 slots. I have connected 2 front usb slots viathe boardboard. I tried plugging the iphone into the backslots, as well as the front slots. Neither seemed to work.

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated, or if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have no idea what to do at this point.

Thank you!

More about : asus usb problems

a b V Motherboard
July 2, 2009 5:33:56 PM

Sounds like an underpowered USB to me, so powered USB hub might be the solution.
July 3, 2009 3:10:40 AM

Quote:
Sounds like an underpowered USB to me, so powered USB hub might be the solution.

Why would I have an underpowered HUB? I just bought this motherboard 3 months ago. I don't see why they would provide 6 USB ports if they cannot provide power.

Is there any way to diagnose this?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2009 12:56:16 PM

I dont know why is it happening, but it is VERY common, just google "underpowered usb ports" and see for yourself. Maybe thats a way of manufacturers "cutting corners". And it seems to be more of an issue with recent hardware. Im not sure if you can return the mobo as unfunctional/damaged because of that. Buy a powered usb hub, theyre reasonably cheap and will fix the problem.
July 4, 2009 11:56:57 PM

Madmagik,

Roger that! Thank you :) 
a b V Motherboard
July 5, 2009 10:29:50 PM

Heheh, youre welcome.
!