Bingy

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
Hi I have a ASUS P5Q-E motherboard. And G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK.

In the P5Q-E motherboards manual it lists all the type of RAM that is compatiable. And for each type of RAM there are three boxs labled A,B,C

A Supports one module inserted into either slot as Single-channel memory configuration.

B Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the yellow slots or the black slots as one pair of Dual-channel memory configuration.

C Supports four modules inserted into both the yellow slots and the black slots as two pairs of Dual-channel memory configuration.

Now my DDR2 RAM (G.Skill) F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK only has the A box with a * (or meaning been ticked.) How is it possible that I have 2x2gb of ram installed when it only says for that ram that only A is accepted/used/allowed/ ???

Is my DDR2 Ram running in a Dual-Channel memory configuration? Because according to what the manual says my RAM (G.Skill) F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK can only be used as for A. ???!!!???

Thanks

It means that your RAM is not supported at it's full speed on the board when you install more than 1 stick. 1066 memory is simply overclocked 800mhz memory, and most boards will not set the memory to 1066 speed by default. It may in fact do with only 1 stick inserted, but when you insert 2, it is likely defaulted to standard 800mhz speed, check your BIOS. You can change the speed manually if you want to. However, it actually won't make much difference. 800mhz/1066mhz, you cannot tell the difference in performance.
If you have it in the correct slots for dual channel operation, then yes it is running in dual channel mode.

The "*" beside it means there is a footnote at the bottom of the page that will explain further about this single stick operation. But that in a nutshell is what it means, not that your board cannot use the memory, it just will not auto-set to the 1066 settings if you add more than 1 stick of it.