Trouble adding a Hitachi 1TB SATA drive as secondary drive

chalkbrd

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
I have a new Hitachi Deskstar SATA drive that I'd like to install as a secondary drive. When I install it, the Hitachi drive is recognized, but my original drive is not showing in the bios. If I turn the computer off and unhook the Hitachi, it boots right up recognizing the original drive. It's been years since I did much hardware work on computers, and I know some things have changed. Is there a jumper switch I need to fix to make the Hitachi a slave? (Book that came with it was totally useless.) Why doesn't the original drive show in the bios when the Hitachi is hooked in? I'm more a software person than hardware but I didn't think installing a secondary internal drive would be that tough. Ideas?

chalkbrd

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
ALIENWARE AURORA 7500-R4
FOXCONN NFORCE 590 SLI MOTHERBOARD
D- ATHLON 64 X2 5200+ AM2 DC
KN991/WG435 QIMONDA 512MB DDR2 PC2-6400 JEDEC STD
SEAGATE 250GB SATA 3G 7200RPM 8MB CACHE NCQ
NVIDIA GEFORCE 8600GTS 256MB PCI-E
VISTA PREMIUM COA 32 BIT

Both drives are SATA. Is that sufficient specs?

Thanks!

chalkbrd

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Magically the drive has now been recognized. I don't know how or why (but I'm grateful that it is!!!). I didn't do anything different but when I turned it on this morning, POOF!!! Both drives were there and it was registering the old 250 GB Seagate SATA as the main drive. I can't explain it because all I did was push the on button. I think a fairy godmother must have waved her wand over it last night. Go figure! (There's a reason I'm not a computer tech! I sooooo admire you people who do this all the time!)

Thanks for the help. Guess for now, it's fixed.