Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe REFUSES to O/C my e4300!!! Stuck at 2745 Mhz?

wooby111

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Since I had to buy a new case and power supply recently, I figured I might resurrect an old issue I've had and never solved:

I am attempting to modify the FSB speed for my e4300 for the P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe. I'm using G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) for memory.

Here's what WILL work:

AI Overclocking at 5% (10, 15 and 20% yield no post).

A few of the general profile settings will post, including the most aggressive, but it only cranks the chip up to 2.62Mhz (and we all know what this CPU is capable of).

The main problem is that when I try to O/C in Manual mode, the readout for the FSB frequency in the bios is permanently stuck at 2745Mhz. Using the +/- keys will not change this value. Typing in a value and pressing enter reverts it automatically back to 2745 as well. This value is completely meaningless, however, as when I try to boot up with it set like this, I just get the stock frequency of 1.8.

Any theories or advice (that don't involve new chips and boards)???

I will ship a bottle of Three Floyds' Dark Lord Russian Imperial Stout (2010) to the person that helps in getting this thing licked -- assuming you are of legal drinking age.

wooby111

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010

cpuz1x.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
OK man.... my answer is going to sound cruddy, but.... it's my general impression that overclocking is just pretty limited on Asus motherboards with SLI support. I've seen numerous incidents like this.

On the forums there were a few people with Q6600s that had just crappy OCs... and I have a system with a Q6700 that only runs stable at 2.9GHz (10% overclock), even though I can get it to post at 3.2, and 3.4GHz with a LOT of fiddling with the BIOS (but it won't pass prime95 at those settings).

If you can find one, try to pickup something like a DFI DK P35. I'm pretty confident you'll never get it working with that Asus board.

Unless.... somebody has some super special magic advise that... hopefully can help solve my issues too. *prays* LOL

I can't access the links.

Are your memory settings on Auto? That's the most common mistake I see.

With the RAM on Auto, you end up running the RAM way past its limits. Let's say that you have a Q6600 & DDR2-800 RAM and you are going to try for 3.0 GHz. That's 333 MHz X 9. So you increase the FSB to 333 MHz. Your Ram is running at (333/266)*800 or DDR2-1000 speeds.

So you need to set your FSB:RAM ratio to 1:1. Your RAM clock should be twice the FSB frequency. At stock frequencies, your RAM clock will be 400 MHz.

What's the most you can increase the FSB frequency and have a bootable system?

What is your CPU VID?

And last, have you read any of the overclocking guides or are you trying to reinvent the wheel?