Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Unlocked Core i7-875K Ultimate Solution Found Thank You

Last response: in Overclocking
August 10, 2010 12:25:59 AM

I changed the name of this thread. The original was something like New to
overclocking please help. I found the solution thank you to everyone that
posted ill still come back to read this post to see what others said.

Here is the link to a Overclocking Video that blew my mind. The second It was
over I knew this is what I was going to do! I can't wait for FedEx to deliver
this stuff on 8/14/2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s1n3eTl-0g&playnext_fro...
Core i7-875K Unlocked Overclocking With some new feature in the bios
of an ASUS P7P55D-Premium that fully exploits the use of TurboBoost.

------------ Original Post ---------------------

Hi my name is Matt, I recently orderd some hardware to build my new system.
I have never put this much money into a pc before and I'm worried about
overclocking it. I have been working with computers long enough to say that im
not a noob in safely and securely getting this system up and running. This is
my first attempt at overclocking and I think the hardware I got is perfect for it.
Now all I need is a high speed member of Tomshardware.com to give as much detail
on how to get the Processor, Bus on the mobo, and RAM to work at a good speed.
Any guide links would also be much appreciated. If you take the time to read this
and help I thank you alot in advance.

Things I would like to achieve
1. Get the CPU to operate at 3.6ghz (im afraid of anything higher then that)
2. Get the RAM to operate at 1600mhz.
For the RAM i have a question i hear the CPU i'm using has a 1333mhz memory controller.
Does this mean I can't get the ram to 1600mhz? I would realy like to if possible.
3. Not destroy the mobo bus, ram, or fry the cpu.
4.I posted the video cards but I don't think I will overclock them that seems alot
more risky then OC'ing the CPU.

Here is all the hardware I got with links to them.

CPU
i7-875k Unlocked 2.93GHz Quad-Core
with HyperThreading and TurboBoost.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Heatsink/Fan for CPU
ZALMAN 9500A 92mm

Motherboard
MSI P55-GD85 LGA 1156 Intel P55 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Intel Motherboard USB 3.0/ SATA 6Gb w/ OC Genie/ SuperPipe/ DrMos

Memory (2 kits 8Gig total have 64bit OS)
G.SKILL PI 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Timing 6-8-6-24 1.6V

2 video cards for SLI
MSI N470GTX GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16

(something tells me I should have just got 1 Radeon 5970 so I wouldn't have to
be in 8x8 SLI. Is the 8X8 setup realy that bad?)

Tower
Antec Twelve Hundred Black Steel ATX Full Tower
It is very spacious with lots of fans. My room on average stays around 70F.

(I think this should provide great cooling for everything lots of room and airflow)

Power Supply
KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC W/ 3-Way LED Switch and Universal Modular Connector Power Supply

I'll come check back once a day to see if anyone left a good guide for me. I'm not trying to be rude but if
you reply without directions or just talk about your overclocked system, it won't help very much. Still
if you wana post your systems specs and tell me about your experience with overclocking I would love
to hear about that also. My stuff should arive in the mail within a week thanks alot for the help :D 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 12:34:41 AM
August 10, 2010 10:32:34 AM

You posted me links of typing in the name of the processor in google. I have already done that. Every overclock guide I have seen pushes the CPU as hard as
they can and It doesn't give enough information on key things to me. I don't want to push it that hard. If someone could post the voltage's and multiplier of the specified hardware to reach a 3.6ghz maximum I would be set.
m
l
August 10, 2010 10:38:10 AM

I have all the hardware post in the OP. If someone who knew what they were doing read this post. They would be able to tell me exactly what to set Voltage and Multiplier to so that it could Reach 3.6ghz and 1600mhz on RAM at very safe settings so that the hardware doesn't get overpushed.

Your post basicaly told me to go to google.com thanks but I was looking for a more advanced, indepth person to assist me.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 2:58:54 PM

Every system is different, no one can tell you the exact settings you will need. It is called trial and error and testing to see what it will run stable at.
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 10, 2010 3:06:48 PM

It isnt this hard.

First make sure it boots and runs your favorite stress tests.

With an unlocked part, CPU increases are easy. Go into the BIOS and increase your CPU multiplier by 1, reboot and see where you landed [you could multiply 166 time the clock you are looking for - in your case 21 or 22). You wont need to increase voltage under 4.0GHz but I would just leave it on automatic and see what it selects. One setting - thats it....

Memory is just a little it tougher - follow someones guide and make small changes. You MUST increase the memory voltage before changing the clocks. Mem voltage should be 1.65V (or whatever your RAM specs).
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 3:09:17 PM

Overclocking is trial and error not every chip is the same, some may not require a voltage increase to hit 3.6 some may need a voltage increase. Start increasing the multiplier and if it becomes unstable then increase the CPU voltage. When you reach 3.6 (3.6Ghz is a 27x multiplier(133x27=3600)) or where ever you want to stop, I wouldnt recommend exceding 1.40volts as that is intels maximum recommended voltage for that chip. Then change the RAM frequency in the BIOS to 1600 and match the voltage and timings and voltage to the ones listed for your RAM which as you posted are "6-8-6-24 at 1.6V" None of us will be able to tell you exactly what settings you need to use.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 3:59:21 PM

greenmanwithaxe said:
I have all the hardware post in the OP. If someone who knew what they were doing read this post. They would be able to tell me exactly what to set Voltage and Multiplier to so that it could Reach 3.6ghz and 1600mhz on RAM at very safe settings so that the hardware doesn't get overpushed.

Your post basicaly told me to go to google.com thanks but I was looking for a more advanced, indepth person to assist me.

Yes I did, getting someone to post what they have in their BIOS doesn't teach you anything. Are you going to know what VTT is and does, IOH, PCH, etc. etc. etc. from getting someone to give you their settings, NO. What happens if it's not stable, will you know what to change, NO. Read a few overclocking guides that explain these things to you, they are out there you just need to do a little research.

For your memory, you have a memory multiplier, so if you leave your Bclk at stock 133 you just up your multiplier to 12x you have 1600 MHz, but since you are overclocking that will change because you are changing the Bclk and hence that affects the memory speed, unless you can get where you are going with just the multiplier and voltages.

OK, if you want to learn nothing and have no clue what you are doing, go to Youtube, lots of bozo's there that don't have a clue show you settings. You would be much better off learning what you are doing though.
m
l
August 11, 2010 12:31:34 AM

Thanks alot for the help everyone, you too RJR. Sorry I didn't mean to sound rude but I felt like you were just sending me to google. Alot of these overclocking guides
spend so much time on benchmarks and other things, that they don't dig down deep to voltage and clk settings. I think they assume that everyone has experience
in it or something and they are just trying to display how far you can push this new hardware. I spent alot of time researching things but I would rather not give a long
story about everything I learned.

My motherboard changed to the
ASUS P7P55D Premium
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p7p55d_pre...

My cpu cooler changed to
Noctua NH-D14
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/noctua_nhd14/

The reason I made the switch is I was told that my heatsink/fan was a decent one, but I should go for better
air cooling if I want to overclock. The reason I changed the motherboard is because i stumbled on a realy good video from youtube.
Apparently some bozo's from youtube have a clue on what they are doing lol. The second I seen his video I knew that this is what
I was going to do!

I seen how people overclock with the Bclk and I'm glad I got the unlocked one now. I might give the Bclk a small nudge, and a small nudge to
the voltage ( not exceeding 1.4v ) other then that I'll use the unlocked mutiplier.

Here is the amazing video that made me come to a decision on how I was going to overclock my system. If you watch It all the way I think
you might be impressed. Its possibly something that you oldschool overclockers have never seen before. If i had been overclocking for years
i would prolly try to deny its better but im almost conviced that this is an awesome way to have control over your overclocked CPU.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6s1n3eTl-0g&playnext_fro...

The video is about 7 minutes long I'm sure most won't want to watch it but if you plan on building a new system soon or you haven't
seen this new bios feature that works with turboboost you should realy check it out. To anyone else who wanted to help me out all
the answers of what im doing are on this video.
m
l
August 11, 2010 1:09:55 AM

Best answer selected by GreenManWithAxe.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 4:05:05 PM

greenmanwithaxe said:
Apparently some bozo's from youtube have a clue on what they are doing lol. The second I seen his video I knew that this is what
I was going to do!

Here is the amazing video that made me come to a decision on how I was going to overclock my system. If you watch It all the way I think
you might be impressed. Its possibly something that you oldschool overclockers have never seen before. If i had been overclocking for years
i would prolly try to deny its better but im almost conviced that this is an awesome way to have control over your overclocked CPU.

Well that video is a perfect example of why people should NOT rely on youtube for advise.

Look at the cpu-z shots when he is amazing you with this awesome new way to OC your processor. Do you see the voltage change, yes it does, it goes up when he disables cores and never lowers when idle. It's running at 1.344v on a single core at 3.8 GHz, 1.320v at 3.6 GHz. More voltage means more heat. I know on my i7 860 I can run 4.0 GHz at 1.300v (cpu-z), so what are you gaining here, more voltage for a lower OC? Doesn't seem that amazing to me.
m
l
August 12, 2010 9:17:22 PM

RJR I actualy think you are pretty cool and you know what your talking about. Even though it seems like we are having a minor argument it's because you can see that i'm prolly not going about this the best possible way. I think that if it was your system you would know all the correct steps to take to get it faster and stable. For a noob like me this video seemed amazing because it didn't require alot of work. Messing with the Bclk or FSB seems scary to me and it would take alot of time to run tests to get it stable. I got the unlocked processors and mobo to do what he did in the video because I don't feel capable of overclocking like you could.

If you want to help me I would most definately try your route and post results to you. I could prolly take screen shots of bios settings and fill you in off and on. You could check them on your own schedule no rush and update me when is best for you. I just wouldn't wana be completely ditched if i started that with you.
m
l
August 12, 2010 9:25:21 PM

Hey RJR I was looking into voltages for i7 overclocking it seems alot of people are pushing it even to 1.4 volts some even abit higher to reach 4+ghz. Is 1.344v dangerous for my CPU? if its just heat I think im prepared for that but if 1.344v is way to high and will severly lower the life of the cpu i don't wana do this setup then. If it is to high then i feel bad for these people that are pushing it to 1.4 and higher there system is gonna die before they get there monies worth.
m
l
August 12, 2010 9:31:14 PM

How did you achieve 4.0GHz stable with only 1.3v? I may be a noob but from everything I have been researching that is pretty amazing. I noticed you don't have an unlocked i7 does this mean you lowerd the multiplier and increased the FSB? Did you have to buy Higher rated RAM then the speed you run so it could take the increase? Ahhhh I have to many questions and none of them are ever made 100% clear. I guess i go into trial and error but the error side could be pretty expensive. I would like my processor to make it to 2015 atleast.
m
l
!