Is my RAM running "optimally"?

ricster

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2004
Please bare with me as I'm a bit of a computer noob.
I recently built a new i7 920 computer, with an ASUS P6T mobo and the following OCZ RAM:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-129-OC

From what I can tell, this RAM should be running at 1600MHz with 8-8-8-24 timings? Is this right? However, when I run CPU-Z I get the following information, which I think shows that I'm running at 1066mhz with 7-7-7-20 timings:

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/2010/ramr.jpg

Note that I have left everything in the BIOS at stock/auto since I don't really know how to overclock yet. My first question is is my RAM running slower than it should be? If so, how do change it to run at the correct speed? I'm assuming theres a DRAM frequency setting in the BIOS, but is it safe to change just this value? What about timings, is it safe to manually change these as well without changing anything else? SHOULD I be changing anything else other than these two values? And what else should I be wary of (e.g. what FSB:DRAM should I be aiming for?)

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just scared of breaking something, but I want my computer running as well as it can do!

japps2

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
RAM frequently sets itself at slower speeds and incorrect CAS timing. Set you RAM frequency and timing manually in the BIOS. If your system locks up and you get BSOD then relax the timing some. You can also run a memtest to stress the RAM and test. I was running DDR3-1600 at 7-7-7-20 timing @ 1.9v, but had a couple of reboots...so I relaxed my timing to 8-8-8-24. My voltage is set now to 1.78v.

Like japps said, you're gonna have to set the voltage and timings manually in the BIOS. Stress test it and make sure it's stable. The voltage for that ram is listed as 1.65 V for that speed. You will probably have to set it to 1.7 though to be stable :D.

ricster

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2004
So its safe just to alter DRAM frequency, timings, and voltage, and to leave everything else as is? If so then excellent, and thanks to everyone for your help