Gigabyte customer service is a joke

Status
Not open for further replies.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I have a GA-EX38-DS4. I've had it a year. The on board sound has always been flaky. Recently i started loosing sata ports and my bios will no longer save.

I changed the battery, I cleared cmos, i flashed the bios, changed sata cables, updated the bios, etc, etc. I actually did this several times. The bios will not save changes. New battery or not. I tried 3 different bios, 2 batteries and many sata cables.

none of that helped.

I RMA'd the board. After UPS ground 4 days, Gigabyte RMA had it for 4 days. I called them and asked what was wrong with it. Their answer.....They flashed the bios and are sending it back to me.............OMG.

All they can do is flash the bios.???????????? Geeze.

so after 15 days of no pc, nothing has been fixed. WTF.

Lavarin

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Well, at least they were honest with you (seriously, imagine how pissed you'd be to discover you got the same mobo back). Keep us updated, and let us know if the mobo works. If it doesn't, then you can really say Gigabyte has failed. :(

wolfwood77

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2008
I had to RMA a gigabyte motherboard awhile back and had no problem with their service , well it took awhile (like 3 weeks ) but when i got it back it worked fine and and still is . So i guess maybe it's just a freak thing?

bilbat

Splendid
I happen to think (after a month of pre-purchase research) that GB has the best boards out there; unfortunately, like every one else, their support is spotty at best, plain awful at worst. The saving point is the community support available, both here, and (especially) at TweakTown - these are some 'serious' tweakers; they are already posting modded BIOS and hardware board mods for the X58 series boards - purely awesome!

The on board sound has always been flaky
There have been a small number of people with problems in the 'd' series MOBO's audio output jacks, either noisy or dead (and, I believe, usually the grey jack) - see this to 're-task', and switch to another jack:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261084-30-gigabyte-ep45-ud3r-onboard-audio-working

That said, what, exactly, happens when you attempt to "Save and Exit" new CMOS settings? Normal operation often dictates that it will reboot twice (apparently, once to 'wake up and survey' what you've changed, recalculate its remaining 'auto' settings, save those, and boot again); if you're getting three reboots in a row, something in your settings is giving it heartburn, and it's resetting discarding those unpalateable changes. This also could be a failing/overloaded power supply. Over the year you've had it in service, have you been adding components? Especially additional drives? Have you followed your attempts at CMOS resets with a "Load Optimized Defaults?" This is mandatory after each CMOS reset, and if it doesn't work, you need to try "Load Fail-Safe Defaults... When the MOBO is returned post back - we can likely help, or at least determine what is likely wrong...

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
1. The sound may be a software/hardware compatibility issue. Sound works fine expcept when playing any Call of Duty while trying to use ventrillo.

2. The bios issue started 6-8 months ago. It happened twice and did not alarm me until recently when it started happening every 2-3 weeks.

the first thing i did was go thru the steps on a complete CMOS clear: unplug, push power button(to discharge capacitors), jumped the cmos pins, reboot, load opt settings, reboot, reload my settings reboot.

all was good for a while, then it would not take bios changes regardless of CMOS clearing.

I flashed the bios to the latest. That worked for a while.

it started losing bios setting more often. I would clear CMOS (steps above), sometimes it would require another bios flash.

The kicker is, the last few times i had the problem, i would lose a sata port. I was down to the last port.

The bios bug happens randomly. sometimes when coming out of sleep, it could be in the middle of a game or it could be just while on the web.

see specs in sig below.

While waiting on my board to return, i have sold my cpu and vid cards. I bought a Sapphire 4870 1G and an Intel Q9550. Maybe that will eliminate something.

By the way. The board was finished wednesday July 1st. As of july 6th noon it has not shipped.

The processor socket will probably be smeared with silver thermal compound and it will take you hours to clean it before you get so frustrated you fire off an angry email to Gigadud sweaaring the sloppy condition of the RMA warranty replacement board is u-n-a-c-c-e-p-t-a-b-l-e. Like I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.