How to get an ethernet connection after reinstalling windows xp home 32 bit

bert586

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Hello, I have just reinstalled windows xp home 32bit on my laptop now i cannot get an ethernet connection & my wireless hasn't worked for sometime

Solution

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Your new installation lacks a driver for the network adapter. Go into Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and find that adapter in the list of yellow marked devices, right click it and go to Properties then click the Details tab the HardwareIDs.

Take a note of the four characters which follow VEN for Vendor and the four after DEV for Device and input them at http://www.pcidatabase.com and you should find your way to the right driver. Post those details back here if you still have any problems. Once you're back online, you can find the drivers for the other yellow marked devices.

TIP When reinstalling XP, it's always best to get the drivers out of te old system first -...

Hello and welcome to Tom's Hardware Forums.

Your new installation lacks a driver for the network adapter. Go into Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager and find that adapter in the list of yellow marked devices, right click it and go to Properties then click the Details tab the HardwareIDs.

Take a note of the four characters which follow VEN for Vendor and the four after DEV for Device and input them at http://www.pcidatabase.com and you should find your way to the right driver. Post those details back here if you still have any problems. Once you're back online, you can find the drivers for the other yellow marked devices.

TIP When reinstalling XP, it's always best to get the drivers out of te old system first - it makes life much easier.

Solution

bert586

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011

Thanks Saga Lout have tried your suggestion it worked a treat am now back up and running
once again thans very much for your help

paddylast

Reputable
Oct 12, 2014
i've tried the above but when i go into properties for the ethernet controller I don't see a detail tab. device type is othe devices, manufacturer is unknown so i cant find location for the driver. any advice appreciated. hanks.