4850 x2 power requirements

pops64

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Now i was reading on the side of the box it says 650W power supply which I have a 700W PSU. But it also says it need 1kW for Crossfire. I only have one card but since there are 2 GPU is that crossfire and do i need the 1k watt psu. according to CCC 2 GPU's on one card counts as cross fire. Also when i try auto tuning it with default settings dual screen, both screens go blank :( It sounds like I have a PSU issuse.... Sry for my nubbness but ATI needs to fix its wording

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
If it says 650w on the box then that will be fine. Not sure about the amperage requirements for the +12V rail though. What PSU do you have?

pops64

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I now need to rephrase my question. When it auto tunes or does any thing through the use of the CCC in testing clock settings it gives me a black screen with vertical stripes and a white screen and or black with vertical stripes. My drives are 9.2. So far i have ran F.E.A.R 1 on this computer and its been fine. But i have a Thermaltake 700W PSU

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
Well that particular PSU is fine for running a 4870x2!!

hmmm..have you tried installing an older driver version! I believe there are a few problems with the new ATI 9.2 drivers!

pops64

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
I hate ATI learn how to fix your programs i think vista is less ah heck than ATI :fou: . Been trying to install 9.1 but all it wants to do is install the install manger :fou: trying 8.12 :fou: What the h*** 8.12 wont install either.
conspiracy i say in forcing you to install 9.2 ATI epically fails AGAIN!!!! SLI is better

pops64

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
Well iv got the cause and the most likely fix but skippy for ATI they wont let me try the fix.
The cause is ATI overdrive when it slows down and speeds up the GPU boom there goes the GPU. They fix most like would be to try an old driver the problem is ATI Install manger wont let me install anything but itself on any versions pre 9.2. 9.2 installs just fine. but the GPU gets unstable as soon as i turn ATI overdrive on :fou: . But on second thought the cause of my problem might be the Gigabyte easy tuner not playing nice with ati overclocker cause on one of the Easy Tuner tabs it will let you over clock the GPU. Any one know how to fix?

UPDATE!!!!!!!
As i write this it was the Easy Tuner supplied by Gigabyte not playing nice with ATI. I'm sorry ATI for my foul mouth. So far Auto Tune for ATI is running and no hiccups for 1 min which is a new record.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
you shouldn't be trying to oc with EasyTune, its pretty unstable. Do it in the BIOS. Also, ATI overdrive is pretty unstable too. I would recommend something like RivaTuner. Then if you get a stable overclock, flash your with the new settings, so they are permanent.

Also...its strange that you cant install anything pre-9.2? Have you tried the drivers from the CD?

pops64

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2009
The drivers install from CD work fine but I'm not sure on there version. Its ATI overdrive that's unstable I don't know why but have time it goes under a clock change it freezes up. i think i should just RMA it and see if its the card. It might be the motherboard it has wired issues when it tries to boot tho. That's on another form. But thx for the help anyways