Sign in with
Your question

Ram speed advantages and effect

Last response: in Overclocking
August 10, 2010 2:32:44 AM

Hey, i guess i didnt know a lot about ram speed !

Did ram speed effect the performance of application and gaming ..!
Such as crysis and gta 4, will ram with 667mhz and ram 800mhz can make huge different in performance ??
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 3:24:43 AM

The speeds you cite are commonly DDR2. You won't notice a difference, and it will have little impact on the frame rates.
m
l
August 10, 2010 4:03:47 AM

treefrog07 said:
The speeds you cite are commonly DDR2. You won't notice a difference, and it will have little impact on the frame rates.

so what if i use ddr3 1066 mhz ?
it will make huge improvement for framerate ?
m
l
Related resources
August 10, 2010 5:54:31 AM

If you are using DDR2 at the moment changing to DDR3 will require a motherboard change. We'd need to know more about your whole platform to guess where the bottleneck would be but it is almost certainly not ram
m
l
August 10, 2010 6:08:01 AM

mognet said:
If you are using DDR2 at the moment changing to DDR3 will require a motherboard change. We'd need to know more about your whole platform to guess where the bottleneck would be but it is almost certainly not ram

ok, this is my rig
intel e2200 oc 2.6 ghz
mb asrock 945gcm-s
ram ddr2 oc 782mhz
xfx radeon hd4850 oc 780mhz/2200mhz

I think my system is bottleneck .. .
what do you think ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 9:37:31 AM

667Mhz is the fastest RAM your board supports and RAM speeds only make a small difference in real life. If running your RAM slower will allow you to overclock the CPU more it would be worth it otherwise I think as new system is in order. A cheap athlon x 3 and a second 4850 would give you a huge upgrade with a cheap 870 chipset board but you would still need to buy some DDR3 RAM on top of this.
m
l
August 10, 2010 11:44:20 AM

simon12 said:
667Mhz is the fastest RAM your board supports and RAM speeds only make a small difference in real life. If running your RAM slower will allow you to overclock the CPU more it would be worth it otherwise I think as new system is in order. A cheap athlon x 3 and a second 4850 would give you a huge upgrade with a cheap 870 chipset board but you would still need to buy some DDR3 RAM on top of this.

"If running your RAM slower will allow you to overclock the CPU more" can you tell me how to do this ??
i cant set ram speed, it just follow fsb !
im getting sick cause it just can oc to 2.6 and cant run faster than this !
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 12:04:13 PM

Sorry to say but your system is crap. How can you run Crysis on this? are you running it btw?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 2:24:28 PM

xkresnax said:
"If running your RAM slower will allow you to overclock the CPU more" can you tell me how to do this ??
i cant set ram speed, it just follow fsb !
im getting sick cause it just can oc to 2.6 and cant run faster than this !

There should be a setting in the bios to lower the RAM multiplier, I just looked at mine and its called "Memory Clock".
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 2:27:29 PM

Fetal said:
Sorry to say but your system is crap. How can you run Crysis on this? are you running it btw?

When Crysis came out this would have been a top of the range system are you trying to say no one could play crysis at all for 2 years after its release?
m
l
August 10, 2010 2:48:37 PM

Fetal said:

of course i running it, all on very high except texture and particles.... and i thought its playable even with few lag!
And if you thought my rig is crap can you give me some money so my rig isnt crap anymore ???http://img.tomshardware.com/forum/uk/icones/smilies/non...
m
l
August 10, 2010 2:54:15 PM

Fetal said:

I would not say anything about a system that is more powerful then yours ha ha ha ha ha.. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/configuration.php?c...

xkresnax check into your bios if you can change the ratio for your RAM to a lower setting. If you can do that, can also try to overclock your CPU higher. I must say that i have no knowledge about your motherboard and it's overclocking potential.
You also might need to increase your voltage and i hope you set manually your PCI-E freq to 100.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 10, 2010 3:19:05 PM

hahaha ^ i worte it today for losers like you.
m
l
August 11, 2010 2:22:21 AM

Fetal said:
hahaha ^ i worte it today for losers like you.

your rig is garbages, i thought you had a i7 !
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 11, 2010 9:10:01 AM

hahaha go put your thoughts somewhere else.
m
l
August 11, 2010 10:03:58 AM

@xkresnax did you manage to change your FSB:RAM ratio to a lower value?
m
l
August 12, 2010 6:20:29 AM

ionut19 said:
@xkresnax did you manage to change your FSB:RAM ratio to a lower value?

how can i do that ?
i dont understand to change fsb:ram ratio, cause this option not available in my bios ...!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2010 9:17:14 AM

Your motherboard supports 533 & 677MHz RAM so you should be able to set it to the 533 setting. I tried to download the manual but I can't read it to confirm if the setting is there it may just auto it and not have the setting.
m
l
August 12, 2010 11:53:23 AM

simon12 said:
Your motherboard supports 533 & 677MHz RAM so you should be able to set it to the 533 setting. I tried to download the manual but I can't read it to confirm if the setting is there it may just auto it and not have the setting.

Thanks simon, i tried this and i can oc my cpu more but it just a little bit to 2.64...
If i change my mobo to g31 chipset, can i oc my cpu to 3.06 ghz ?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
August 12, 2010 12:51:00 PM

In think if you are going to get a new board you should look at a new CPU as well. My brother had a similar system to you and his MB died a few weeks ago so he got a cheap Asrock AM2+ board that can take his DDR2 ram but also can use DDR3 and an Athlon x3 440 (3GHz stock) costing under £100. He was able to unlock a 4th core & L3 cache and run it at 3.3GHz or as a 3 core with L3 cache at 3.7GHz. I don't think its worth getting a new board just on the off chance you can overclock just a bit more.
m
l
August 12, 2010 1:01:43 PM

simon12 said:
In think if you are going to get a new board you should look at a new CPU as well. My brother had a similar system to you and his MB died a few weeks ago so he got a cheap Asrock AM2+ board that can take his DDR2 ram but also can use DDR3 and an Athlon x3 440 (3GHz stock) costing under £100. He was able to unlock a 4th core & L3 cache and run it at 3.3GHz or as a 3 core with L3 cache at 3.7GHz. I don't think its worth getting a new board just on the off chance you can overclock just a bit more.

I think you're right.. Looks like i must keep saving my money to get am2+ board and phenom !
Thanks for the opinion bro !
m
l
!