Sign in with
Your question

Budget HTPC -no Blue Ray-

Last response: in Systems
February 3, 2009 3:51:51 PM

I'm thinking of building a new htpc..

Myself I use either my PC, or I use my Xbox with XBMC as the gui...

I'm wondering what opinions you may have over my current build project..
I've not purchased anything yet, and I'm basically looking for something to
replace my Xbox as a media player, with the possibilty of a future upgrade to
BlueRay... cost is a MAJOR factor in this build..

As now I have a used Xbox for $50, wireless controller $30 and a larger hard drive 500 gig $70..

So for my Xbox as a HTPC.. My cost are.. roughly $150 ..
This plays most all codecs I use on a daily basis.. Divx/Xvid, mp3, as well as streaming video.....
The price is very attractive.. But it is limited to the upgrades.. Basically none....

Here is what I'm looking into building tho..

Budget HTPC list Revision 1

As you can see the price is double that of my Xbox investment... But it holds the promise of a future upgrade to Blue Ray.. for about another $100....

I'm content with my Xbox right now, but I am looking for other input on my choices, to help me decide on how I should upgrade my movie watching experience at home..

Feedback please...

Phil

More about : budget htpc blue ray

February 3, 2009 4:21:17 PM

Cannot view your list, make it public.
February 3, 2009 4:46:51 PM

hmm. I don't see that option on New Egg.. I hit the share button when I made the list.. It says it is shared, but it doesn't show on the public list.. Maybe there is a waiting period.. ???
Related resources
February 3, 2009 4:50:29 PM

Or just list the components.
February 3, 2009 5:20:54 PM

Definitely lose that PSU. Antec Earthwatts 380W would be good.

Change the HDD to 640GB, little bit faster.

Use a low power CPU, 4850e.
February 3, 2009 7:03:23 PM

thanks foir the input.. I looked into the Antec EW 380... it is $10 more than the one I got picked, but it seems to be the best bet in the long term use in power bills..
I also noticed a nice Antec 350watt for $19.99.. It isn't a power saver like the Earth Watt edition, but for $20, it appears more of a buy than either of the others... This would leave room in the budget for a larger hard drive or possibly a media card reader as well.....

Decisions.. decisions... hmmm.....

Alright I changed the cpu to the 4850e.. It will do the trick, and it is cheaper.. Major props on the mention..

If I use the less expensive power supply as well, I bring the total of the system to around $350..

February 3, 2009 11:07:37 PM

Max-i-mus said:
thanks foir the input.. I looked into the Antec EW 380... it is $10 more than the one I got picked, but it seems to be the best bet in the long term use in power bills..
I also noticed a nice Antec 350watt for $19.99.. It isn't a power saver like the Earth Watt edition, but for $20, it appears more of a buy than either of the others... This would leave room in the budget for a larger hard drive or possibly a media card reader as well.....

Decisions.. decisions... hmmm.....

Alright I changed the cpu to the 4850e.. It will do the trick, and it is cheaper.. Major props on the mention..

If I use the less expensive power supply as well, I bring the total of the system to around $350..

I wouldn't get the Basiq, the quality is nowhere near as good. The Earthwatts regularly goes on sale (it was $35 about a week ago).
February 4, 2009 1:09:03 PM

My suggestion:

February 4, 2009 7:50:38 PM

thanks for the suggestions there batuchke, but I'm kinda fond of the case I got picked out already... I'm not wanting to have a pc looking device sitting next to the tele in the living room.. I'll also keep my eye out on that 380EW power supply for a sale...
I've ordered my case.. the rest is still up in the air.. But I wanted to make sure I was able to have the case before they sold out....
February 4, 2009 10:01:55 PM

The 780V chipset doesn't support UVD so forget about playing blu-ray with it in the future. Of course you could always upgrade to a discreet card. Just thought you should know.
February 5, 2009 11:16:33 AM

780v no blue ray.. hmm. Then I'll look into the 780g model then...
Thanks, I didn't know that.. I was assuming the 780v was a newer version of the 780g, and would figure it to have all the old features, plus possibly more.. Plus it was dirt cheap..
I'm sure glad I ordered the case when I did.. It has since sold out.. :) 
!