Graphic Card for a Dimension 8300

caridwen

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
I hope someone can give me suggestions for a new graphic card for my Dimension 8300. I had a 128MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (AGP).

I realize it's an older computer so I don't want to spend a huge amount but since the Sims 2 is installed, the kids would love to be able to continue playing.

Hopefully this is enough information:

Dimension 8300
Intel Pentium 4 Processor at 3.00Hz w/ heat tech and 1 MB cache
1.5 GB DDR SDRAM at 4.00
160 GB HD 7200 RPM
Intel Pro 100 M Integrated PCI NIC Card
125 MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128 MP

Questions:

1. Fairly inexpensive card suggestion
2. It's been suggested that I get either a xFX GeForce 6200 Pro or a Radeon x1650 Pro. Are they compatable, and if so which would be better (for game playing).
3. Is this something I can do myself? I've installed RAM but that's pretty much the extent of it. But I would prefer to put the money into the card.

Thanks for any suggestions, help.

caridwen

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009

I also have another question-

This is the first video card I've had to buy. I keep reading about power supply. How can I tell how much I have and what to look for when I buy a card.

Thanks!

Edit: Last night I opened my comp and the fan isn't running on my graphics card. I take it I do need a card, the fan can't be replaced, right?

Sorry for so many questions.

Ian Y

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Cardiwen,

I have a Dimension 8300 and my 9800 pro died. I'm not sure reading your posts whether your card has died too.

If the fan isn't running, the graphics card will overheat and eventually die. You can probably get a replacement heatsink and fan but its frankly not worth it for a card this old. You should replace it.

I replaced mine with the X1650 and that worked great, no problems, and no need for a new power supply.

I have now replaced the X1650 with an HD3850, which works even better! I did notice that my PC was struggling to boot up but solved that by fitting a new power supply. I fitted a Corsair VX550W, which was pretty easy to do. I did have to cut out a panel at the back to allow the psu to vent properly but since the PC is well out of warranty I had no qualms about taking a Dremel to the case! The PC now works like a dream.

The Dimension 8300 came with either a 250W or a 300W power supply. Mine was a 250W. I have two DVD drives, two hard drives, the HD3850 and a sound card. Add the CPU and RAM and the 250W was having to work really hard.

Fitting a new graphics card in the Dell couldn't be easier. Just open the case, unlatch the green plastic arm that holds the AGP and PCI cards in place, take out the old card and fit the new.

A couple of things to remember.

The Dimension has AGP and PCI slots and most modern PCs use PCI express. You basically can't get PCI graphics cards anymore. Get the AGP version of the X1650 or the HD3850.

And if I recall correctly, the 9800 card didn't have a separate power connector. Most modern cards (like both the X1650 and the HD3850) need a power input. The X1650 has a 6 pin PCI power socket. The HD3850 has an 8 pin PCI type power socket. Mine both came with adapter cables to allow you to connect a 4 pin molex to the graphics card. With my original power supply, and with the drives I had attached, the HD3850 left me a molex cable short (as its adapter uses two). That's easily solved by buying a molex splitter cable (turning one molex into two). My new psu has an 8 pin PCI plug, which meant I just used that.

Hope this helps.