I would really like to build my self a little media/file server and was wondering if perhaps I could get some help from you guys on what parts would be good to use. I'd like to use this machine mainly to run torrentflux(through apache), and as a HTPC. But having the option to store backups would be great. Right now the parts that I am looking at are:
- JetWay JNC81-LF AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Mini ITX AMD Motherboard
- AMD Athlon X2 BE-2300 Brisbane 1.9GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 45W Dual-Core Processor
- 2x Patriot 2GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Laptop Memory Model PSD22G8002S
- APEX MJ-16 Black Steel MicroATX Mid Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply
- 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Pricing this out on newegg.ca it works out to roughly about $600 after taxes
I am not attached to any of these parts, and was wondering if there is any setups in and around the same price point that you guys would recommend over this. Is there any major flaws with the parts that I have chosen? And as for an operating system what would you guys go with? Right now I am familiar with OS X, Windows, Ubuntu, but would be willing to try another OS if it would better suit the job.