Sign in with
Your question

Optiplex GX270 data cable for 2nd hard drive is upside down

Last response: in Windows XP
July 10, 2011 10:39:33 AM

Attempting to install 2nd IDE hard drive, but the connector for the 2nd hard drive is facing upward, not downward to be able to connect the data cable.

WTF ?
July 10, 2011 10:52:58 AM

Sounds odd but I suppose things can go wrong in any manufacturing process. If there isn't sufficient play to be able to twist it round, just buy another cable. Personally, I'd just screw the drive in upside down but I'm just lazy. :D 

m
l
July 10, 2011 11:34:21 AM

Leave it to DELL to take a simple procedure & screw it up. I have replaced & added many hard drives on DELL desktops and other MFG's, But this is the 1st time on this Optiplex Desktop which I just inherited. In order to add a 2nd drive, one must first move the primary (original drive) to the right, in the bay. Then insert the 2nd drive to the left where the original drive was, thus allowing the connector for the cable to face downward to make the connection.

Again, I say WTF ! !
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
July 10, 2011 8:32:56 PM

Maybe someone replaced the original cable with the wrong one!
m
l
July 10, 2011 8:48:12 PM

No cable wasn't touched - Their procedure Manual (previous post) tells you just like it states.
m
l
July 11, 2011 6:00:06 AM

Is there any chance of slaving it on the secondary side - the optical drive? There's usually a way of fixiig a hard disk somewhere with a bit of creative thinking. :D 

m
l
!