Help! Need 8pin mod.

exil3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Hey.. I have no car till Monday. So I bought this new mobo EP45-UD3P. That thing needs a atx 8 pin mobo adaptor from the PSU. But my PSU is a first gen PSU for crossfire but it only has a 6 pin plug, not the 8 pin. This is the adaptor that I need...

pcpartscollection_2057_56754754

and I found this mod for a vid card but I thnk the layout might be different than the mobo plug. But comes close but I wont risk it.

http://www.isyougeekedup.com/how-to-make-8-pin-pci-express-powerconnector-video-card/

So does anyone have a link in how to make a 8pin otu of a 6pin or 4 pin? Im stuck home till Monday And I wanna game sooo badddd!

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

Wait... is this connector mod for your motherboard or your video card?

4745454b

Titan
Do you realize there is a difference between the Mobo 8 pin plug and the PCIe 8 pin plug? They are notched differently, they are not interchangable. What you need is a new PSU, one that has the proper plugs.

g3force

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2009

It might be possible to use the 4 pin ATX 12v connector in the 8 pin EPS connector, but I've only done this with a Celeron 430. I have no idea if it would work with a processor with a higher TDP.

exil3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I need the 8pin for the motherboard. Sorry... I have the 4pin but need the 8pin. I do have the PCI express wghich is the 6 pin.... Did you guys see the picture of the adaptor that i need? I need that and it will work but I have no ride. SO i was ondering is anyone has modded anything similar to it,.

Not to worry.

Download and read the mobo installation manual. The 2x4 connector is recommended if you will be using a 130w extreme edition cpu.
Otherwise, the connector is compatible with the normal 2x2 connector which you have.

exil3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

Can you explain a bit more? I have the q6600 cpu. Is that a 130w extreme edition? Whats the extreme edition that you talk about? CPU?PSU?MOBO?

exil3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Ok.. I think you meant the CPU. It loks like the q6600 quad core is not the extreme ... i think. But I have another Idea.... what if I get another plug 4pin from a spare psu and splice it and solder it to the actual 4 pin of my existing PSU. The I would have a total of 8 pin. WOuld sharing the same line be a big deal?

exil3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009

Thanks geofelt. I saw several of those around the net trying to figure if i can make it happen. Looks like thats the best solutin besides buying another pricey psu. Anyways.. I went ahead and built it and plugged int he 4pin to the right side where it shows for regular cpu instead of the extreme version. And it booted. I do want to overclock it to 3ghz so that might be a issue. Ill find out later.

Another important question for you tech gurus.
Look at this adpeter geofelt showed.
pchcables_2061_1769681

And look at this adaptor.
adapter.JPG

One is just a 12v line sharing the same line while the other is split between 2 12v lines. Would it matter? What would be the best choice? Wouldnt the 2 12v lines feeding into 1 8pin plug cause somewhat of a volt fluctuation? Or while the 1 8pin line split into 1 12v line have a too much of a draw of current to make the system a bit unstable?

exil3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
you cant wait 2 days, seriusly?

ehheheheh.. extreme geek here. Well.. its still running. maybe it will work with the 4 pin afterall. The system has resseted after a feww app were launched. (bf2) But it might be because I have not formatted my pc and running on a old system XP setyup. I will format. Thxs evryone for your guidance.

exil3d

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Well.. so you guys just know. My PC has been running fine with the 4 pin. I havent overclocked yet but in stock.. its running just fine. Im in crossfire too.