Advice on mobo prospects and good cooler

crinkelite

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
Hi folks, ths is my first post on these boards although i have been reading alot from here in the last few days (supposed to be studying). I have two questions but I'm gonna just post the two here.

first off i put this in my signature but i'm not sure if it will be attached so these are my current specs.

core 2 duo e6600 @ stock-2.4ghz
2gb DDR2 ram on one stick
Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 mobo
ATI Radeon 4890 1GB.
Xilence 600W PSU
WinXP 32bit SP3 - moving to vista soon.

1.does anyone have this motherboard and do you think it's possable to put a quad core in it eg. Q6600/6700?
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2321

2.what would be the best place to start researching cpu coolers? my conroe is idling a 59C and hitting 75C in intel's TAT under load, and thats before i **** myself and stop the test.
I have a suspision that the thermal paste was not properly applied as I did not build this rig myself and I have come to realise that the company I baught it from are not the most professional crowd in the world.
however I would like to start pushing this chip seeing as how I'm toying with the idea of upgrading anyway.

anyway thats it and thanks for reading.

ps sorry if this is in the wrong section/subsection.

With the proper bios version, you can run any quad core 775 cpu you like. For coolers, there are plenty of good ones; you have to decide how much noise you can put up with. I have my fan speed set at the lowest possible setting, as I don't overclock.

crinkelite

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
thanks for the info on the mobo, looks like I may be in the market for quad core soon.
I suppose I'de like to hit somewhere in the middle between performance and noise level. I dont like the idea of covering my memory slots with a huge heatsink and I dont think I'll be pushing the OC too hard. so I'm basicaly looking for something thats of good quality and reliable brand, something I can use again in future builds would be nice (i7 bracket). I don't mind spending money on a good investment.
Am i being to demanding?