Need help deciding which case to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.

bravehead

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
I've just finished my plan for my new computer and I am happy with all of the parts I chose except the case. I want something that isn't too humble, but also doesn't hurt my wallet.

With that in mind I found these two cases:

The HAF 912
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233&Tpk=HAF%20912

The NZXT M59
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146058

Both seem to get good reviews everywhere I look, and I like the look of both of them. Can someone help sway me one way or the other? Also, If you know of a case waaaaaay better than both of these that is not too much more expensive, please tell me.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I really favor the 912. I have this case for one of my PCs. It is impressive and can accommodate tall air coolers (I use a Hyper 212 plus). It can also accommodate long video cards (10.6" with the center HDD bay in and around 16" with the bay removed). It also has the CPU cutout in the tray for easy swapping out of cooling solutions requiring a backplate. Of course, great airflow too and many fan configuration options. Plus, most cases with these features cost over $100 while this case costs around $50-60. It's just a good quality case.
I really favor the 912. I have this case for one of my PCs. It is impressive and can accommodate tall air coolers (I use a Hyper 212 plus). It can also accommodate long video cards (10.6" with the center HDD bay in and around 16" with the bay removed). It also has the CPU cutout in the tray for easy swapping out of cooling solutions requiring a backplate. Of course, great airflow too and many fan configuration options. Plus, most cases with these features cost over $100 while this case costs around $50-60. It's just a good quality case.

Solution
Yeah. It only comes with a front and a back fan. Still, it's almost like a sturdy frame and the whole thing's ventilated to some extent. Front to back airflow is great with just the two stock fans especially with the center drive bay removed. If you're not going to use more than two SSDs and three HDDs, you can just remove the center HDD bay. I'd recommend a large top fan for sure as another exhaust point.

To remove the front panel, you just have to make sure you take the side panels off or you don't have access to the release tabs:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/cooler_master_haf_912/2.htm

The cost of the fan depends on the fan. Higher priced fans move more air (higher CFM) while staying quiet (lower dBA).

You have options with the top fan config. 2 decent 120mm will run you around USD $12 each shipped. While one decent 200mm will run around $24 shipped. Realistically, you could go with either 1 or 2 120mm top fans or the 200.

Heat is naturally going to head in toward the top of the case and escape in the 912. You don't need the top fans right away, but they're something to think about for the future. You could even consider a side intake at a later date as well to blow across the video cards. There's good airflow in this case even without the extra fans. There are no places for hot air to really get "trapped" anywhere.

As far as getting the 922... You're talking going from $60 to $100 (67% increase). You'll add a few inches all the way around and a top fan is also included with the 922.

bravehead

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
So its not really worth going from a HAF 912 to a HAF 922? And how hard is it to install fans. ( I've installed tons of computer parts over the years but never a fan) Also, Is the case made of flimsy, crappy material or hard metal or plastic. Some reviews make me think one way and others make me think the other way.

Thanks!

The HAF 912 is good if you are content with the way it looks. The HAF 922 is a step better with improved airflow. With stuff like cases, you generally get what you pay for. If you have a 100$ budget then the case I'd recommend is the Lancool PC K-63 or PC K-62.

bravehead

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
That's a little out of my price range. At Newegg the storm scout is $90. I want a case in the $40-$70. The HAF 912 is looking like the best option right now just due to the fact that I haven't heard much about the other cases.

It's a case with a sturdy steel frame. Like most cases (even those costing $$$) it has a plastic front bezel.

Adding fans is simple... Just line up the screw holes with those on the case and screw them in. Beware the cheap fan screw, though. They usually strip pretty easily.

Oh... And did I mention the 912's great cable management? Most cases in this price range offer zero. That's a big deal when it comes to airflow and a clean look.

Status
Not open for further replies.