System:
E8500 (Intel 3.16 Dual Core) 1333 FSB
ASUS Striker II Formula
XFX GTX 260 Black Edition
4gig Corsair Ram
750gig Seagate HD
Some older Sound Blaster card

Problem:
I play FFXI (Final Fantasy 11) and often times dual box by means of using a windower program to load 2 instances on the same computer. I can play for about 30-40mins and then the entire computer just shuts off.

Now at first, when I start checking things out, I thought that it was the GTX 260 temps, as the card felt hotter than it should have been by touch, so I start monitoring the temps while playing, and it never reached temps higher than 56C (I don't think thats too bad for this card and the case I currently have). The CPU temps never go over 35C, and the ambient temp is always about 45C. I am completely confused as to why it just shuts down. I have no problems if I am just running a single instances of the game though. My old system had no problems running this game with 2 instances with a 2.16 Dual core and a 8800GTS 640mb card, but I wanted alittle bit more and the old system is going to the wiffle. Any ideas, or other things to check?

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
A CPU temp of 35C and GPU temp of 56C with an ambient of 45C is not possible. What are you using to measure these with? For the CPU you need to check the core temp.

What PSU do you have?

Mrbumbum

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Since you can run one instance of the game fine and it only crashes with 2 instances up It leads me to think maybe a bad stick of ram is to blame.

I'm pretty sure more ram will be used with 2 instances of the game running. Will the sticks pass memtest? and as the above posters suggested it may be a psu issue aswell, list your current psu model as well as the amps on the 12volt rails

Yeah your temps are not reporting correctly. Download realtemp and run prime95 to see your load temps. It shouldent go anywhere near 70, but if it starts climbing fast into the upper 60's stop the test and reseat your heatsink.

zeerith

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I have a thermaltake 850watt PSU, its brand new as well. I was thinking maybe PSU as well, but I don't even know how to go about testing it. As for the ram, yes, it passes memtest. I am using the PC Probe II software that came with the mobo for the CPU temps, and the Nvidia tool to measure the GPU temp and, and rivatuner for the ambient temp. I got the temps down now too 39 amb, 28 cpu, 45 gpu, and 36 mobo, but I had to take the side of the case off.

Now that I think about it though, that mobo temp seems too high, any other thoughts on this? I have already ordered my new tower, a thermaltake armor+ full tower, to replace this old coolmaster mid tower, so I am hoping that will solve alot of this.

As for the PSU, like I said above, how do I test it?

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=84&threadid=2268102&enterthread=y

TRENDING THREADS