New mobo's and MSCD001 error.

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • SATA
  • CD Drives
  • Format
Last response: in Motherboards
July 3, 2009 6:27:43 PM

I have noticed ever since new sata MOBO's have been released I have not been abble to format and load a OS using the CD drive after a format. Anyone else noticed this? heres the steps I do. Wipe the partition. Create a new partition. Format the partion. Then after its done formatting I usually load Millenium then upgrade to XP. Problem is after the format is complet and it boots off a Bootable floppy.. it gives me a error of "Cannot find CD drive MSCD001. I never had this issue for years until the new gigabyte MOBOs came out with SATA support. And yes I am using a new GIGABYTE mobo. EP45-UD3p. Any clues? Or links for a fix?

More about : mobo mscd001 error

a b V Motherboard
July 3, 2009 6:36:40 PM

Millenium to XP upgrade? XP w/Service pack 2 added XP OS SATA drivers. Earlier versions of XP (original/SP1) require SATA drivers to be added via the F6 prompt with a floppy disk containg the driver. Not sure about the exact error message.
July 4, 2009 4:09:41 AM

badge said:
Millenium to XP upgrade? XP w/Service pack 2 added XP OS SATA drivers. Earlier versions of XP (original/SP1) require SATA drivers to be added via the F6 prompt with a floppy disk containg the driver. Not sure about the exact error message.

Can you guide me to the driver and when do I press f6? My solution is to bootup mellenium and upgrade to XP on another older PC and then transfer the drive to my new pc. the l;oad up all the drivers.
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2009 4:57:33 AM

The MB CD would provide a SATA driver, but a modern board like a P45 likely would have no stand alone SATA driver avalable. It may be possible to extract the SATA driver and the files needed to load up a floppy. I think an OEM XP SP2 or SP3 disk is like $99 on newegg. That disk would have the SATA drivers you need to simply load the OS onto a SATA drive. I will see if I can find the instructions for extracting the SATA drivers from the MB CD that will fit and load onto a floppy. I'll have to go back a few years into my archives. 8)
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2009 5:04:50 AM

Ok. You can try this. You will need a floppy disk drive installed. Use a freshly formatted Floppy Disk. Open the MB support CD on another machine. Access the MB CD by double clicking "My Computer." Then open Drivers folder, then Sata and copy everything from the Sata folder to a floppy except the GUI and the Readme file.

This works on some of my older machines, but I am not sure about a modern P45. After you have made the floppy try to load the SATA driver from it at the F6 prompt.
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2009 5:32:10 AM

So we are on the same page here. You have a P45 MB and want to load Windows ME, then use an upgrade CD (without SP2) to have a Windows XP installation, but you are getting errors and can't load the OS's this way on a P45 with a SATA drive. Well, SATA drives were not released or available when Mindows ME was released. In fact, Sata drives were not released or for sale when Windows XP was released. Windows XP SP1 did not include system SATA driver(s). It was not until Windows XP SP2 that onboard SATA driver(s) were 'patched' in. SP2 also gave us the 'Security Center'. Before all this our IDE drives were riddled with tens of thousands of virus' and spyware. Anyway.

You may have to go the $99 route I mentioned earlier. P45 doesn't support Windows ME as far as Gigabyte and the other dudes engineering this kind of stuff goes. LOL. May as well load up Windows 7 64 for free and step into the dark.

Edit for Writer's embellishment.
July 4, 2009 9:32:00 PM

aHH..M GIVING YOU GUYS THE WRONG INFO. tO MAKE IT SIMPLE i WILL WRITE DOWN THE STEPS TO A CLEAN INSTALL.

1: Go to BIOS and set Floppy to boot first.
2: Insert Windows Mellenium 3.5 floppy Boot Up disk.
3: Machine boots up on Windows ME boot disk and I am at Prompt.
4: At prompt I type in Fdisk. Go to Partion Delete Primary.And create NEW partition.
5:p C restarts. Then PC boots up again on windows ME bootup disk and I am at Prompt again.
6: I type in FORMAT C:. It gives me warning message.(Formating will erase all DATA) I type in Y for yes.
7: Pc Formats Drive C. Once the format is complete I restart PC and bootup on Windows ME bootup disk.
8:o n the Menu of Bootup Disk it asks " Bootup with CD Drive Support" Boot up with No CD drive Support" I select "Bootup with CD Drive Support"

Ok.. now here is where the problem happens. On older motherboard it always booted up with CD drive found and Supported. Now... Ever since I have bought the newer Motherboars with PCI Express and Core Q6600 support, I get a error message. "No proper CD dirve was found. Please install proper Driver" And I am stuck. I am stuck because next step is to throwe in Windows ME disk and load it up. SO I bypass this error by using my GF older PC and that like the other older PC detects the CD drive and I am able to load Windows ME. Also.. I want to point out that I always buy Gigabyte Mobos. SO I am not sure if this will happen with other newer brand Mobos. I hope I was clear.
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2009 9:44:19 PM

Check the OS support for the new MB. Windows ME is not there.
July 4, 2009 10:24:10 PM

You have a version of XP that is PRE-SP and needs to manually load the SATA drivers. I have the same version. Very early on during the XP upgrade process, XP should prompt you to press F6 to load any third party drivers. Your Gigabyte CD should allow you to create a driver disk for the SATA drivers supplied by them.

The error message your are seeing is probably a holdover autoexec.bat from your ME installation that XP may be seeing. Win 95/98/ME used an autoexec.bat command line such as LH A:\MSCDEX /D:mscd001 /L:F to load DOS cd rom drivers to allow the cd to function until the OS could take over, and load the Windows drivers. Win 95/98 would use DOS drivers but usually only if there weren't any specific Windows drivers for the device to use. If there were, they would sometimes result in a conflict between the two drivers and could result in flaky functionality. Win 95/98/ME will load dos drivers if there is an autoexec.bat file but it doesn't HAVE to have them.

You don't mention if you're using a SATA HD or not but I guessing it's PATA for ME and that you're trying to install XP on a newly added SATA drive. If that is the case, trying renaming the autoexec.bat file to autoexec.bak or somethins similar, so long as you know what it is. That will pprobably cause the erro to go away, but you'll still need to deal with the issue of creating a driver diskette to load the SATA drivers for XP. Instructions for doing this should be on your Gigabyte CD.

Hope this helps.
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2009 10:46:00 PM

Bottom of the page.

Due to most hardware/software vendors no longer offer support for Win9X/ME. If some vendors still has Win9X/ME drivers available, we will publish on website.

a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2009 10:47:15 PM

OP try loading up the IDE drive. Curious to see what you get.
a b V Motherboard
July 4, 2009 11:25:02 PM

MB manual, Page 99 describes how to make a Floppy disk with SATA/RAID drivers used to set up a RAID installation at the F6 Prompt on XP. Would this procedure work with ME and a SATA HD, I don't know. The installation may need only the SATA driver. In addition, system drivers for 98/ME are not provided should you get there.

http://america.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/Manual/motherbo...
July 4, 2009 11:51:03 PM

hEY... TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION. i AM USING A ide ATA 133 DRIVE.
July 5, 2009 4:14:42 AM

exil3d said:

If you're not adding any SATA drives, you shouldn't need to load the SATA drivers, but I would do so any in the event in case you decide to add a SATA drive down the road. You state you're getting the MSC error booting from a floppy, does the XP OS load w/o the floppy, w/o any errors after upgrading????? I have upgrade versions of Win 95 and Win 98 and they autoboot, and ask for the previous version of the OS to be inserted before the upgrade will continue, but I think MS made the decision sometime after ME out came to make the upgrade CD's not bootable.

July 5, 2009 3:41:34 PM

exil3d said:

I have noticed ever since new sata MOBO's have been released I have not been abble to format and load a OS using the CD drive after a format. Anyone else noticed this? heres the steps I do. Wipe the partition. Create a new partition. Format the partion. Then after its done formatting I usually load Millenium then upgrade to XP. >

1> Do you get any errors loading the XP upgrade?

2> When the XP upgrade is complete, does XP boot OK and does your CD show in My Computer?

Problem is after the format is complet and it boots off a Bootable floppy.. it gives me a error of "Cannot find CD drive MSCD001. >

1> Why must you boot your system from a bootable floppy?

I never had this issue for years until the new gigabyte MOBOs came out with SATA support. And yes I am using a new GIGABYTE mobo. EP45-UD3p. Any clues? Or links for a fix?>

The SATA fix is to follow the instructions from the other people that have posted answers to this query and load the third party SATA drivers after creating the driver disk. This way, you can add SATA devices in the future. You don't necessarily have to load them (device mgr will probably show an unknown device), but it's best to load them and get it out of the way.
July 7, 2009 5:18:11 AM

mikey5802 said:
I have noticed ever since new sata MOBO's have been released I have not been abble to format and load a OS using the CD drive after a format. Anyone else noticed this? heres the steps I do. Wipe the partition. Create a new partition. Format the partion. Then after its done formatting I usually load Millenium then upgrade to XP. >

1> Do you get any errors loading the XP upgrade?

2> When the XP upgrade is complete, does XP boot OK and does your CD show in My Computer?

Problem is after the format is complet and it boots off a Bootable floppy.. it gives me a error of "Cannot find CD drive MSCD001. >

1> Why must you boot your system from a bootable floppy?

I never had this issue for years until the new gigabyte MOBOs came out with SATA support. And yes I am using a new GIGABYTE mobo. EP45-UD3p. Any clues? Or links for a fix?>

The SATA fix is to follow the instructions from the other people that have posted answers to this query and load the third party SATA drivers after creating the driver disk. This way, you can add SATA devices in the future. You don't necessarily have to load them (device mgr will probably show an unknown device), but it's best to load them and get it out of the way.

1:I cant load XP. lol. Im stuck at MSCD001.
2: Again... cant get past MSCDoo1 error.

1: IThats my only method I boot up XP. I need to load ME and then upgrade to XP.

But anyways guys. Thanks for the help. This is just a old method of installing a OS that has one leg in a grave and another on a banana peel. So no need for suggestions.. I will just continue using a olde pc and wait for windows seven.
!