zeuriel

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
I am about to set up my first RAID and I have a few questions because I have done a lot of research and I am now a little confused.

I should start by saying I think I can set up the RAID. The question comes after... or before that.

I want to run my OS on its current drive. Then add two more identical drives in RAID 0.

I want to use the RAID for storing files and programs on. Is this possible?

Almost all the research I have done talks about or assumes one is installing an OS on the array and not just using it for storage.

Finally. If I can do that I assume I would want to format NTFS. Would I format before or after making the array in the BIOS.

Thanks

Solution
The very first thing you need to ask yourself is why you want to use RAID. If you don't have a clear understanding of why you need it, then it's probably best avoided, IMHO.

You can use RAID to store any kind of files that an ordinary disk can. But some RAID organizations are more prone to failures, particularly with ordinary disk drives not designed for use with RAID. And doing it right means taking extra time to understand, configure and maintain it.
The very first thing you need to ask yourself is why you want to use RAID. If you don't have a clear understanding of why you need it, then it's probably best avoided, IMHO.

You can use RAID to store any kind of files that an ordinary disk can. But some RAID organizations are more prone to failures, particularly with ordinary disk drives not designed for use with RAID. And doing it right means taking extra time to understand, configure and maintain it.

Solution

zeuriel

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
Thanks that is a very honest answer. I largely wanted to use it for an increase in speed. But I think I will do more research too. I have read the Tom's Hardware RAID Faq and the Wiki article on RAID and the different levels. I do know the drives I want to use are used by people in RAID as well though. (Caviar Black 64MB Cache 1TB SATA III)

I'll continue to look. Thanks

These drives will work, but because they don't have TLER (Time-Limited Error Recovery) they have a greater potential for timeouts which causes the RAID controller to declare them as dead when they're really not. They work fine in RAID for a lot of people, but this is something you should be aware of so you can decide if it's something you want to deal with. The alternative is to get a RAID-ready drive, but those are typically more expensive.

zeuriel

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
I think you are probably right and I should do some more research. I am not in any particular hurry to do this. are there any good places to go to learn more in an organized way?

zeuriel

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
I've spent a couple hours on this today as I had most of the day off. I think at the scale I am needing currently RAID likely isn't necessary. Apart from general storage for myself I have been doing a large amount of geostatistical analysis at work and I think in the future a RAID array could help with that as the data starts to pile up. Right now though I think for general storage and backup I can survive fine with just multiple drives.

Thanks for the information. I am honestly glad someone told me to slow down a bit on this.